Need Low Cost Autocad Replacement

I use Draftsight, but I really don't have enough experience to know if it's good or bad.
Draftsight is Darn good for 2D drawings. It's my main program I use along with SW's. I still prefer Draftsight over SW right now.

After Windows 98 quit providing service updates I replaced the operating system with Linux Mint. Linux Mint is FREE! Software is also free. Currently, I am learning freeCAD 0.16 which is the latest stable release. The program is 3D CAD and robust. YouTube and the freeCAD website (called a wiki) provide tutorials. After designing something, you can export the file as G-code. Another program, named Camotics has a CAD simulator.

I’m still a fledging learner, but I find it kind of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a background in AutoCAD and mechanical drawing. I dropped AutoCAD years ago as the cost of the upgrades increased extensively. I would like to get back into it without facing a massive learning curve.

I am looking for a low-cost replacement that would have most of the AutoCAD features.
If you are going to renew your skills and you want low cost, I suggest you consider Fusion 360.

It is free to a hobbyist and is quickly becoming the defacto standard.

There are a huge number of YouTube videos out there that are extremely well done on almost all aspects of it. You can be self taught and accelerate your learning and output.

Solidworks offers student edition free to veterans

Not exactly, to quote their website;

The SOLIDWORKS Student Edition cost to qualified US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel is $20 USD/$40 CAD.

For US, a copy of your DD214, DD256 or DD257 form is required.For Canada, a copy of your NDI 75 or CFOne Card replacing the NDI 75 (Effective Jan 1, 2016) or CAF 75 (Record of Service ID Card) is required.For Active Duty (US/Canada only), please provide a Statement of Service verified by your Chain of Command and include date of entry and end of service dates

Eligibility Information

The SOLIDWORKS® Student Edition is only available to US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel.
Proof of eligibility is required before you can complete your order.

https://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php

Granted the student edition is listed at $99.99 which means the veterans offer is a great discount (80% off), but technically not free.

I have a background in AutoCAD and mechanical drawing. I dropped AutoCAD years ago as the cost of the upgrades increased extensively. I would like to get back into it without facing a massive learning curve.

I am looking for a low-cost replacement that would have most of the AutoCAD features.
I'm using Autocad Lt 2D its not free but its a lot cheaper. $400

Having had several strokes and being an old man has me set in my ways. I was never "schooled" in AutoCAD, learned it a bit at a time on my own. Over the years, I (guess) have developed an instinctive response to certain functions. I have tried several of the newer versions for drawing 2D (electrical) prints. But always seem to come back to AutoCAD. I guess the learning curve is a little too much for me these days.

What I did was an extended search on auction sites until I found a CD of ACAD, what I think is the last (2007?) copy that is complete without getting on line. I think it was found on eBay, and took several months to find. I had an earlier version but had to drop WinDoze XP. uSoft stopped supporting it, and my system crashed. The end result is I went to WinDoze 10 and the older version wouldn't run on it. There was a short learning curve, I'm retired and don't do near as much electrical work now. The newer version cost almost as much as the newer rental versions for a "used" CD. But when I have a problem, I can reload from a CD, I don't need to get on line. I've tried Linux to replace XP, but like ACAD I have better instincts than memory and Linux is too far off the track for me to relearn.

Being old school, I'm still running AutoCAD 2000. It will install and run fine on Windows 10, but only if you have the 32-bit version of Windows.

but had to drop WinDoze XP.
Never heard of WinDoze. I have used a program called Windows for many years with no issues. Currently running Windows 10 with Solidworks and numerous other demanding CPU/GPU programs. Maybe you should try Windows instead of that knock-off program you are running.

Back