Need Low Cost Autocad Replacement

+1 on Fusion 360
I recently switched to it. I have been using CAD since the 90's, and found the learning curve pretty painless.
It is a pretty powerful program, and pretty intuitive.
I generally prefer to start with a 2D sketch and extrude it to 3D, and it works very well for this. I have not played much with it starting from primitive solids, but what little I did was pretty simple and easy. It is certainly much easier to learn than 3DSMax.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a limited time to learn a conceptually different system but I will check it out.

Jim

Could anyone elaborate on the difference between 3 dimensional CAD and modelling software. Advantages, difficulty to learn, functionality, etc.?

Thanks,

Jim
It is exactly as the name implies, 2D is drafting in 2 dimensions and 3D is drafting in 3 dimensions, modeling will create solid surfaces on the 3D drawing when displayed (in a highend system this will also tell when the parts in an assembly will impede upon one another in the real world). If making simple 2 axis parts in a home shop a 2D cad system is a fine addition and is for the most part free and easy to learn, solid modeling takes more time to learn and more time to make the drawings.

If however this is a hobby endeavor then by all means have at it, as mentioned Fusion 360 is excellent as well as the free Solid Edge package from Seimens. You will probably find that when you take the actual drawings to the machine to manually produce them that a 2D drawing in 3 views to be more useful.
Good Luck

Take a look a Fusion 360. It is a 3D modeling product with integrated CAM from AutoDesk. It is free to students, educators, hobbyists, and startup businesses. There will be a learning curve transitioning from AutoCad but it has tremendous capability and it is well supported by AutoDesk.

I downloaded Fusion 360 and went through the tutorial. It is amazing what they can do, but tutorials make it look so easy.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I think I am going to try Draftsight and Fusion 360. Earlier this year I posed the same question on another forum and it just died. It makes me appreciate The Hobby-Machinist all the more.

Jim

By the way, I am recording all these suggestions in case one of these things don't work out. Learning CAD is kind of like learning a foreign. When you are stumbling for a command you usually go back to a familiar one only to find it doesn't work.

With the 3D modeling software that I have experienced, 2D drawings can easily be made. They have an advantage in that the drawing is linked to the model so if the model is changed, the drawing updates automatically. My experience with AutoCad goes back to 2000 where if you wanted to change the drawing, you had to move the lines in the drawing or redraw them and to update a dimension, you had to move the anchor point.

For 2D drawings, you can't beat Draftsight, I think you will like it. I've been a Draftsight user ever since they started. I have two professional seats in use for the work I do. As for 3D, I can't help you there. But AutoCAD 360 looks like a winner, too! I'll have to give it a try.

For 2D drawings, you can't beat Draftsight, I think you will like it. I've been a Draftsight user ever since they started. I have two professional seats in use for the work I do. As for 3D, I can't help you there. But AutoCAD 360 looks like a winner, too! I'll have to give it a try.

It is hard to make the big time commitment when a learning curve looms in the background. If only giving it a try was an easy prospect. The Fusion 360 makes it seem really easy and the upside looks much less limited. In addition, they offer it free for students and hobbyists. Glad to see users adding their experiences.

Jim

For the price, you may want both. I regularly use Draftsight and AutoCad 2d then jump over to parametric modelling software Inventor and Geomagic Design. Depends on what you need drawn. I have been an AutoCad guy since it ran on (2) 5 1/4" floppies on a 386 with math co-processor, I type most of my commands with my left hand as a result and have no problem jumping back and forth with Draftsight (though I wish they would add spell check like Autodesk finally did).

I would have a slight concern about file durability with fusion 360 long term, just because .f3d looks to be the native format. Not likely to be supported by other companies and if the free period expires on fusion you might be trapped into paying. YMMV

For the price, you may want both. I regularly use Draftsight and AutoCad 2d then jump over to parametric modelling software Inventor and Geomagic Design. Depends on what you need drawn. I have been an AutoCad guy since it ran on (2) 5 1/4" floppies on a 386 with math co-processor, I type most of my commands with my left hand as a result and have no problem jumping back and forth with Draftsight (though I wish they would add spell check like Autodesk finally did).

I would have a slight concern about file durability with fusion 360 long term, just because .f3d looks to be the native format. Not likely to be supported by other companies and if the free period expires on fusion you might be trapped into paying. YMMV

Good Point. I still have a few of the old floppies with DWG files hanging around. Are we dating ourselves?:) When I was building commercial building I used to use CAD to work with the architect and engineers. Then the yearly changes and higher prices started slowly making me obsolete. It was nice to have the old drafting and engineering skills to fall back on. I will pursue Draftsight and flirt with AutoCAD who left me years ago for other richer suitors.

Back