Need info and opinions on Cincinnatti Mill

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
As I've mentioned before I'm on the lookout for a mill. I happened across this one that is about an hour and a half away. It looks interesting but I don't know much about it other than what the ad gives which is the title, "[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Cincinnati Mill with tracer", [/FONT]price, serial #[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]4H1V1V-40[/FONT], it's 220v 3-phase and a couple of pics.

Anyone have knowledge of the model or series? I see an attachment on it that I can only assume is the "tracer" but I'm not familiar with that, what is it? Good, bad? Is this something that I should be interested in finding more out about? (I know, WIDE OPEN question. :rolleyes:) How does this machine stack up in comparison to the smaller BP? What are you're opinions of it?

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Hello Ron,

I don't have any personal experience or knowledge with that machine (it does look very substantial!) but you might want to check here http://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati/ as there is usually some good information on most machines.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks Mike. I actually ran across that site last night as I was doing some research after I posted. If I am correct it would appear to be a version of the "Contourmaster" 8"x18" (I'm thinking a Mark II :thinking: ). The "tracer" looks like it would be cool as all heck to have, kind of a pantograph on steroids. :drool: The table size is a little small though which is a big concern.

This is where I need the advice. Is a machine like this one worth getting for general use or should I just keep looking? Tooling? What kind of tooling would I need? Is it still available somewhere? Does it use collets and if it does would their absence be a deal breaker?

I just don't know enough about milling machines. :banghead: It's a "catch-22" as I won't really start learning until I have one to work on.

-Ron

Substantial machine, correct. Cincinnati built no junk as far as I am concerned. However, the work envelope is a bit small to sacrifice that much floor space. The tracer attachment requires a template that a stylus follows as the table moves. It is a hydraulic affair. The templates are made manually in the olden days, with the skilled workers making the patterns and templates that would be used in production of parts with non-linear features. They were popular before NC/CNC milling developed more fully.

Great! I needed to hear exactly that. Thanks once again guys. Back to my search for a mill.

-Ron

Back