Need Help

jroma1

Active User
Registered
I have a Harbor Freight 9 x 20 lathe that I bought in January 2008. The top slide was always an issue and I could never get it to move smoothly. Recently I came across the Steve Bedair site which outlines a modification to improve it's operation. I cut a piece of 1/2" flat bar to size drilled a 3/8" hole and cut a bore for the ball bearing as instructed. I'm probably doing something wrong but I can't see how this is going to work the end of the lead screw doesn't seem to stick out far enough to fit the wheel.

Steve has a place for questions but when I click on it I get an error message.

Has anyone out there had experience with this problem,any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated

John Romano

Hi John,
I also have that lathe. I feel my slides work ok. Lucky? Could you post the address of the site that shows the modification. I would like to take a look at it. Thanks
NodakGary

Steve's 9x20 site is located here: http://bedair.org/9x20.html

Clicking on the help/questions link on his site is supposed to open your email client on your computer and start a new email to Steve. Here is his address (replace the (AT) with @): stevebedair(AT)yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,
I also have that lathe. I feel my slides work ok. Lucky? Could you post the address of the site that shows the modification. I would like to take a look at it. Thanks
NodakGary

Gary
I don't know Steve's address what I usually do is search for it by typing"Steve Bedair website" and click on that heading.
That usually takes me directly to his site. He also shows a number of modifications that he has done on the 9 x 20 plus
suggestions on usefull projects for the 9 x 20.
Good Luck let me know how you made out.

John Romano

Hi Guys,
I didn't explain myself very good. I guess I was looking for the particular site that didn't come up properly. I, too, have visited Steve's site many times and enjoyed his handiwork. I was curious if one of his subs didn't come up that we should let him know. I have sure had good service from my HF 9x20. The only problem I had was one of the bushing wore and I had to have a new one made. BTW, I had a 4" by 1.5" cylinder of a brassy-looking metal that I took along with me to the metal shop. The shop manager wondered what the stuff was as the machinist said it was really really hard stuff. We looked at the grooves running in a spiral around the cylinder and guessed it was a bearing from a rail-road car. Should last a long time. Lol A wonder what you pick up at rummage sales.
NodakGary

Back