Need help with my new DRO from tpacktools.com

terryw123

Registered
Registered
My new 3 axis DRO was just delivered and after checking it out and trying to figure out how to get it to work the way I want, there is one thing that I can't figure out. I came with 5 numbers after the decimal point. I want to change it to only 3. I've read through the manual but it is about worthless. I assume the topic in the instructions is changing the resolution. But I've tried it several times but it does not change the decimal position. The numbers move to the right but still has 5 numbers to the right of the decimal point.

Can anyone guide me?

This is the unit I got. http://www.tpactools.com/3-Axis-Package_c_14.html

I could never figure it out either on mine. I just covered the fifth numbers with black electrical tape.

The ultra simple solution is to just cover the digits you don't want to use with something. I have seen this multiple times in different shops.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

Are you sure it's 5 digits after the decimal point & not 4? I've never seen a DRO commonly used for a lathe or mill read hundred thousandths of an inch (5 digits after the decimal). I'm assuming you must be talking in inch measurements cause 4 digits after the decimal is the norm for most DROs. In metric mode it would only be 3 after the decimal.

For these types of DROs, usually you can't turn off the 4th digit (ten thousandths). The resolution setting is set for what resolution scales you are using, 5μm or 1μm.

Ok....I was in inch mode and there was 5 digits to the right of the decimal. I called the seller of it and he guided me through it. I can only go to 4 digits right of the decimal, I was hoping for 3. I like the idea of just putting black tape over the 4th digit. Those instructions that come with the Chinese units are almost worthless. The units look and feel great. No complaints there at all. The guy that sell them is more than willing to help but he has a heavy chinese speech dialect. Hard to understand.

Just tested with one of my DROs. If I set resolution to 1μm using 5μm scales it will display 5 digits after the decimal. However the setting is obviously incorrect & does not read accurately. So again, resolution setting has to be set to match the type of scales you have. Just an FYI for anyone who might come across this thread in the future.

A couple of folks have suggested taping over the undesired digit; however, keep in mind that if you do that you have negated the DRO’s calculator function which may or may not be an issue for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok....I was in inch mode and there was 5 digits to the right of the decimal. I called the seller of it and he guided me through it. I can only go to 4 digits right of the decimal, I was hoping for 3. I like the idea of just putting black tape over the 4th digit. Those instructions that come with the Chinese units are almost worthless. The units look and feel great. No complaints there at all. The guy that sell them is more than willing to help but he has a heavy chinese speech dialect. Hard to understand.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back