Need help with lathe tool holder selection

Dogdoc

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a carbide insert sandvik tcgx 21.51- Al h10. I realized it would not fit my tool holders that I have. What tool holder do i need ? How do I size a tool holder for a specific insert. Are the insert sizes standard so that as long as I get a tool holder for a specific shape (like for this sandvik triangular insert) , it will work ?

thanks
dogdoc

The only real thing to use any tool on any lathe is the tip of the cutter is on center. You don’t say what size lathe you have or how big is the insert holder. So there is no way to answer your guest ion.

What tool holder do you have? There are so many options, it's crazy.

A member on here wrote a book on the subject. It will answer all your questions and then some.

Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide https://a.co/d/b62y4zt

I think the insert I listed dictates the size tool holder. McMaster Carr has a chart I used to get the answer. The first letters of the insert code (tcgx) are crossed referenced to a tool holder that fits so I found one today and ordered it. My lathe is an enco 12x36 I purchased 20 years ago and used very little 1.5 or 2horsepower baldor motor. I remember I ordered it with an upgrade motor. I used it a couple years off and on and life got in the way until now. I still don’t have enough time as I run my own business but my interest is renewed!!!

Try grinding a high speed tool bit. It isn’t hard. There is an excellent thread here on how to. For a lot of what I do high speed steel is better than carbide.

yes I grind high speed steel but I just wanted to try some insert tooling. I just purchased the book recommended above.

The answer to your original question is, there are inserts and there are holders- some work together, some don't. It's an a'la carte system. I think David's book is a great collected reference, and will no doubt help you decode the system.

I find it a little too expensive to buy any type of insert cutter without making darn sure the inserts are common, available, and cheap first. It's just my luck to pay $10 for a $200 tool holder, but Sandvik makes the only inserts at $200/box. I prefer the simple approach, I can get CCMT inserts (for example) cheap, so let's choose a holder that uses those over something less ubiquitous. I have a couple nice Kennametal boring bars, but they use proprietary "ridge top" inserts that are $20 each, so those bars aren't very useful. It's a long row to hoe when setting up insert tooling if you don't pick a couple workhorse insert types early and stick with them.

On Sandvik's website they list tooling that fits this insert. It's under the add to cart button. Both turning and boring tools.

You can also use the listed nomenclature of the tool to search for other manufacturers tools that fit the insert and your budget.

Garrett

Last edited:
The TCGX insert is considered an aluminum-specific insert that compares to the more common TCMT style. Either type will fit in STNC R or STNC L holder as well as others, and quite a few boring bars. It's a handy style of insert to have around since it's used in multiple applications.

Back