Need help with jaw grinding on a Bison 3 jaw chuck

HourhandSam

Registered
Registered
Greetings, I'm attempting to make an escape wheel for an old time clock. The chuck is mounted on an indexing head. As I rotate the indexing plate I notice that the depth of the newly cut teeth get noticeably deeper, obviously this is due to the spiral thread the jaws move on. I've heard of regrinding the jaws to correct for this inherent error with a tool post grinder. Unfortunately I don't have a tool post grinder. Does anyone know of another way to accomplish regrinding the jaw faces without a tool post grinder. I do have a rotary tool that is hand held. Please assume I know nothing about how to go about this process. Thanks for your help. Cheers Sam

Greetings, I'm attempting to make an escape wheel for an old time clock. The chuck is mounted on an indexing head. As I rotate the indexing plate I notice that the depth of the newly cut teeth get noticeably deeper, obviously this is due to the spiral thread the jaws move on. I've heard of regrinding the jaws to correct for this inherent error with a tool post grinder. Unfortunately I don't have a tool post grinder. Does anyone know of another way to accomplish regrinding the jaw faces without a tool post grinder. I do have a rotary tool that is hand held. Please assume I know nothing about how to go about this process. Thanks for your help. Cheers Sam
Change out the chuck to a 4 jaw and dial it in, 4 jaw is what i keep on my rotary table and it works good for most all setups.:thumbzup3:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way to get the jaws back to snuff is to grind them with the TPG. There may be people that know another way but the jaws will not be dead true.

"Billy G"

Back