Need Help With Coaxial Indicator

wallyw

Registered
Registered
I'm doing something wrong with my coaxial indicator. Instructions say "Adjusting rocker friction joint to make feeler contacting work piece". I assume that is the little phillips screw w/nut on the part that seems to rock. I've tried adjusting this for both internal and external use. Loosen screw and move feeler to surface I want to check. Turn the mill on and feeler moves away from work piece.

Out of frustration I put my Shars coaxial indicator aside and bought a more expensive Fowler. Same problem and same sketchy instructions.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Help!

Loosen screw and move feeler to surface I want to check.
And then tighten it again. Better yet, adjust the friction so that you can position the feeler where you need to by hand but the joint is stiff enough that the rocker rocks before the joint slips. Then adjust the feeler until it is contacting the work and the dial is deflected a turn or so into its range.

You do not use a coax indicator or DTI with the spindle running.

not exactly sure what you are saying BUT there is friction in the arm and you FORCE out or in so it is in the ruffly the cent range of the movement of the arms and go at it.

my blake coax indicator instructions says to run the mill at less than (I don't remember the exact number) but it is around 600 rpm. this is how the top manufacturer says to do it. you have good advice given youto adjust the screw that holds the rod to the rocker so it stays where you put it while you are setting up the indicator in the hole.it should have come that way. bill

Back