Need help with carbide inserts/tool holder

Joe:

If you are using an 80 deg diamond (CNGP431 or 432). the holder would start with MCLNR or DCLNR and the following numbers and a letter determine the holder and insert size. So, if you can find a tool holder that is described as MCLNR104A the holder would be 10/16" square or 5/8". The number "4" indicates the insert IC (inscribed circle) (4/8" or 1/2") and must match the last number in the tool holder ANSI description. The final letter indicates OAL with an insert in place, A=4" length, B=4.5", C=5", D=6" and so on.
Unfortunately I cannot find a 5/8 inch square holder for the 1/2 inch insert, so, you can simply mill a 3/4 inch holder down to .625 only up to the head end of the tool. Leave the shank a full 3/4" wide.
Purchase a tool from any source that is MCLNR124B or DCLNR124B and cut it down to 5/8" and get inserts for it from Fastenal. CNGP431, grade TN10U, (EDP#4164566) or CNGP433, Grade TN10U, (EDP#4164568). I just looked up the retail price for the inserts and they are $12.89 each.

Good Luck!

Also looking for something that gives a rundown for what type of machining task the associated tool is used for.
Every large manufacturer of carbide insert tooling publishes the relevant data for the material that you desire to turn, they do not however know if you are using a small $2900.00 hobby lathe or a $300000.00 turning center, the tools are pretty much designed for industry. You may read a Kennametal data sheet that will tell you that this insert is specifically designed for titanium alloys, you may not have the speeds, feeds and horsepower to use them effectivley.
If you are a hobbyist I would recommend 3 tools that use the same sized triangular positive rake inserts, an OD turning tool, a facing tool and a boring bar, same insert in all three. Otherwise have at it.

Back