Need Help With Air Impact Wrench

D A takes me more than 10 seconds just to get to tire level! would be tired after removing the first tire then comes the 10 minute rest bill

I've spent the last forty years knuckle busting on equipment large and small. I have every size impact from 1/4" to 3/4" and several just in 1/2". My strongest is a big double hammer IGR 1/2" the 3/4" isn't as strong unless you use 1" hose and 150 psi . I also have a HF with 2" extended 1/2" actually my favorite . A little air oil every day and it's been working thirty years . Now I've gone to IGR battery jobs 14.4 volt and 19.2 volt with the lithium batteries . They were extremely expensive but worth it not to hall around hoses and be restricted. Still need the air ones , but my HF gets grabbed unless I need tons of punch the IGR also weighs as much as the 3/4" craftsman . Only bought that one when our Sears Kmart went under . My shop I run the compressor at 125 psi and 100 psi to my limes with filter and oiler . Compressor has auto drain too. I figure my tools cost to DERN much to not protect them. Oh the big IGR sounds like a machine gun if you feather the trigger. Hitler's buzz saw mg .

The harbor freight earth quake guns get great reviews all over the net.

I have an ancient CP 720 and it rocks. But having said that my Milwaukee M18
2763-20 walks all over it. And no hose to drag around with you.

Not cheap at $200 plus a battery, but I haven't run across anything it won't break loose. The neighbors son uses his on his semi. Takes it with him, uses it to change tires on his log truck and trailer.

I'm looking for a good quality air impact wrench. Got a big Rol-Air two stage air compressor I use for sandblasting so I've got plenty of air. I'm not a professional wrench turner but want a good quality air impact wrench for general automotive work that will last. Not interested in cheap imports.
I'm not opposed to buying a quality used one but not sure what to look for. Does anyone have a specific recommendation on a brand & model? Good used ones to look for or buy new?
I have both 3/8 and 1/2 drive Ingersoll Rand
They have never give me any trouble
I bought them both new at Sears & Roebuck
Put a drop or two of air tool oil in the intake
Every time you use it

Ingersoll rand 2135 best bang for buck last forever as long as u oil them me and my guys use them all day long in auto repair shop.

IR and Snap On are great but the new Metabo cordless are awesome.

Both of my Snap-Ons went 2 years, rebuilt, 2 years, rebuilt... The problem is the rebuild was 1/2 the price of a new unit.
I believe I have posted on here before about my feelings about Snap-On, but just in case you missed it-
They make some special tools no one but the factory makes. This makes them good.
They also make/rebrand many tools of equal quality, available elsewhere, for FAR LESS money. This makes them bad.
They also offer credit to poor, unsuspecting kids just starting out in this bidness, and that makes them CROOKS.
All the tool trucks offer credit, but I have never seen the other trucks play the "you can't be a real mechanic unless you have OUR tools" scheme like the STRAP-ON dealers around here. Rant over, sorry to exhume a dead thread.

I had a CP 1/2" and 3/4" when I worked as a CAT mechanic. CP modified both to give more than 800 lb/ft torque. They were great and I sold them when I retired. Still going strong. I also liked IR impacts. Now I have a Milwaukee 2767-20 Cordless impact rated at 1400 lb/ft off and 1100 lb/ft on and love it.

Roy

They make some special tools no one but the factory makes. This makes them good.
They also make/rebrand many tools of equal quality, available elsewhere, for FAR LESS money. This makes them bad.
They also offer credit to poor, unsuspecting kids just starting out in this bidness, and that makes them CROOKS.
All the tool trucks offer credit, but I have never seen the other trucks play the "you can't be a real mechanic unless you have OUR tools" scheme like the STRAP-ON dealers around here. Rant over, sorry to exhume a dead thread.

I suspect Snap On may not be what they used to be but in the 80s when I was a dealership panel beater and jig operator they were unbeatable, my dealer dropped of urgent tool requirements and fixed broken kit on days he wasn't due to visit!
And all my tools are still working great! :D

Back