Need Help With Air Impact Wrench

gi_984

Active User
Registered
I'm looking for a good quality air impact wrench. Got a big Rol-Air two stage air compressor I use for sandblasting so I've got plenty of air. I'm not a professional wrench turner but want a good quality air impact wrench for general automotive work that will last. Not interested in cheap imports.
I'm not opposed to buying a quality used one but not sure what to look for. Does anyone have a specific recommendation on a brand & model? Good used ones to look for or buy new?

The best, Chicago Pneumatic (not to be confused with Harbor Freight stuff), Snap-on, or Ingersoll Rand.

Having said that, the Harbor Freight professional Earthquake 1/2'' drive seems to be OK. Has held up well in my son's auto shop. I have an old C/P 1/2'' drive that I bought about 45 years ago and it is still going strong. I also have a 1 inch drive HF Earthquake that has worked well.

I agree with what Jim Said.
I have a 1/2" Ingersoll Rand that is about 40 years old and still works great. I used it daily when I was a tech.

The HF earth quake is worth looking at. It probably is one of there highest rated products. I belong to quite a few automotive forums and it gets good reviews on all of them. I do not own one but have 2 friends that own tire shops and they have been using them for 2 years.

If you are buying a new impact wrench, it will probably be an import, cheap or not. I would listen closely to people who use them a lot, like described above. I am lucky, and have a Chicago Pneumatic and an Ingersoll Rand, both USA made and bought new in the 1970-1980's, still going strong, but not used hard at all...

p.s. Oil em every day you use em!

Thanks for the information. I heard all the newer US branded stuff is made overseas now. I'll do some hunting on craigslist.

i own Rodac, Ingersol Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, Blue Point (Snap On), Matco , Mac , Craftsman, & HF 3/4" impact guns

i prefer my twin hammer 1/2" Ingersol Rand and my Matco Twin Hammer Composite guns the best.
the matco gun does 450 ft/lbs in fwd, 600 ft/lbs in reverse, i got it new in the early 1990's.
it's lightweight and it doesn't play around- i call it "my little friend"
the IR 231 is a great gun, i carry it on the truck everywhere- my go to gun.
the 231's are so good that the asian manufacturers saw fit to copy the design and now sell them all over-
HF has those clones. they really aren't that bad for intermittent use.
if you want old school quality Rodac is it...
they are no longer in business- but you may run across these gems at garage sales or swap meets. they are worth every dime you shell out for them!
if you are lucky you may find one that someone has carelessly disregarded as mere junk in a pile at the flea market.
i did one day, and felt like it was my birthday/xmas/st. Patties Day/SuperBowl all wrapped up into one !!!!!

as Bob stated, oil is the fountain of youth for pneumatic guns

I agree with all the above, I bought my 1/2" IR in 1968 and have used the h out of it, the older I get the more I use it, I have a dedicated air line when using air grinders, dyna files and impact guns with a auto oil mister in the line made by watts, I also have a Milwaukee 1/2 electric impact that I bought in 1975 that has great advantages when air is not available. I would check ebay for the older ones especially if you choose Milwaukee and everything there is made in China today and a lot of it is nothing to write about.

I had 2 Snap-On impacts and I can say don't waste your money. I have had better luck with a Harbor Freight model.

The best I ever owned was the Ingersoll Rand 2131 which went over 20 years without a rebuild... When that time came it was considered obsolete but there is a current model out there. Now I am not easy on these, I spent 35 years as a line mechanic, 20 of them in a automotive wholesale reconditioning shop.
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/is/product.aspx?am_en=35063

Back