Need help with a VFD for my mill

Did you decide on a drive? That is a 250k pot; my vfd recommends a 20k IIRC, it will vary by drive. The pot itself is nice, the conductive plastic ones are MUCH better than the cheaper carbon film type. The cheap ones work fine for a while, but are "scratchy" and soon you find your speed jumping all over the place every time you look at them funny. If you can tell us the drive you decided on, we can tell you if the size (ohms) is right.

The critical values are the resistance value, given in Ohms , Kilohms (x100 and abbreviated K or K ohms), wattage, and taper. The manual for the drive should give you these ratings. The taper is the rate of change as the shaft is turned. I'm thinking that the AB VFD I have calls for a 10K Log taper - the one you linked to is a 250K Linear taper. So I'd double check the value and taper called for in the manual before ordering. Good quality pots are pricey these days. The price given on that one is a good price for a name brand part.

Dan

Found the Hitachi manual on line - the pot you need is a 1000 to 2000 ohm (1k to 2k ohm ) 2 watt pot. Linear taper will work, however a log taper would give you expanded low speed control (the speed would change less at the low end of the pot's rotation, speed would increase faster at the high end, full clockwise rotation). I'll see if Allied shows the value you need and post a link later if they do. The info is on page 4-87 of the manual I found.

Dan

Dan beat me to it. The same part you linked to, but in a different size (2k instead of 250k) would be just the ticket.

Found the Hitachi manual on line - the pot you need is a 1000 to 2000 ohm (1k to 2k ohm ) 2 watt pot. Linear taper will work, however a log taper would give you expanded low speed control (the speed would change less at the low end of the pot's rotation, speed would increase faster at the high end, full clockwise rotation). I'll see if Allied shows the value you need and post a link later if they do. The info is on page 4-87 of the manual I found.

Dan

This pot should do the trick. Same manufacturer and series, just the value that you need, according to what I found on line.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70153148

Oem drum switch to the vfd low voltage controls and radio shack pot

IMG_3064.JPG

Were do you guys buy your enclosures from? According to the Hitachi manual I need a minimum 9"w x 13"h x 7"d enclosure to house the drive.

Back