Need help with a VFD for my mill

I guess that is something that may be shop specific. I have read about noise filters ahead of the vfd and wondered if I needed one while I was wiring everything. Guess I will just wait and see.

Thanks

I should mention though that all my VFDs are mounted inside metal boxes. Maybe that makes a difference. Bill

Get the largest VFD you can afford, I like to have a 3hp vfd for a 2hp motor, for service factor. Tim

Iam glad you mentioned that I am tossing around buying a 3hp drive

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I had issues with noise, but that was hum from the motor itself. I adjusted the VFD frequency, and added a line reactor. Not sure which helped more. My line reactor is in the same box as the VFD.

I have three VFD's that I got off Ebay. No problems with them. One of the manufactures mentioned that even though you do not use it very often you should turn the power to the VFD on to keep the capacitors charged up. Not sure what will happen. The other thing to remember is to let the VFD start and stop the motor. Do NOT put output power to the forward/reverse switch on the mill and use that to start stop and reverse. The VFD won't like it and it probably won't last long. Also I bought some pots and have some extra ones. I bought several because the cost and shipping were better. I can sell you just one if you want. Let me know and I will send you a picture of it so you can see if it will work for you. warrengrant@yahoo.com Put VFD in the subject line so I won't delete it. One of the members mentioned that he used the drum switch and wired it to the VFD for forward and reverse. That's a smart way to do it. I put mine in a box and just turned the drum switch on and taped in that way so no one would move it. Haven't had a problem. I wired the VFD to two three phase outlets and unplug the mill when I want to use my surface grinder. A little of a irritation but not worth buying a second VFD.

Automationdirect.com has all the enclosures, push buttons, estops, etc you could want. No affiliation other than their name showing over and over again on my credit card statements. :)

I also favor their vfds, btw. So easy to set up...

Guys I am looking for some help to power my 2hp 3phase Kent KTM 380 mill. My electrical skills are limited but I can get help from a friend who is an electrician.

2) where do I get the other electrical components....pot, e-stop, forward-rev. buttons....etc?

I just did a search on ebay and found lots of Emergency Stop switches - this guy has the Estop and some other useful switches at pretty cheap prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-AC-250V-...Domain_0&var=540186521659&hash=item4d0d50d6c1

Automationdirect.com has all the enclosures, push buttons, estops, etc you could want. No affiliation other than their name showing over and over again on my credit card statements. :)

I also favor their vfds, btw. So easy to set up...

fitznoodle, or anyone else, are you familiar with this drive?

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-23P0

If I am reading the specs. correctly, it looks like the face plate of this drive can be mounted remotely and you would have all the controls you need...minus the E-stop, if that is really necessary. I can always mount the E-stop in the same remote box.

fitznoodle, or anyone else, are you familiar with this drive?

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-23P0

If I am reading the specs. correctly, it looks like the face plate of this drive can be mounted remotely and you would have all the controls you need...minus the E-stop, if that is really necessary. I can always mount the E-stop in the same remote box.

I have a GS2. Yes you can pop out the HIM (human interface module aka the keypad) and mount it elsewhere. But then you have to buy a patch cable and a thing for the keypad to sit in (cant remember the exact name for it).

Personally, when hands are dirty I find a keypad pretty crummy (and they get nasty looking in a hurry). I use an RPC on my mill, so I just use the switch as it was intended, BUT if I was going to use a VFD as a phase converter, I would put an estop and pot in a smallish box somewhere close to the OEM switch.

Here is a 4 button box on my buffer (only 3 buttons being used + 1 plug). These things cost so little I wouldn't think twice about it!

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../Pushbutton_for_22mm_-a-_30mm_(1_PB_to_25_PB)

Pots are not cheap from AD for some reason, if you can find one on ebay or somewhere thats prolly a good choice.

CAM00468.jpgCAM00469.jpg

CAM00468.jpg CAM00469.jpg

Back