Need help with a VFD for my mill

Hello I see this is pretty old but I just bought the same mill and trying to hook up a VFD. Wondering if you had the wiring diagram or could point me in the right direction to where i could find it. Also wondering what the output voltage was on the VFD you purchased. I can’t tell what my Kent is wired for. Thanks for any help if you get this.

You'll want to confirm what the voltage requirement of the mill is. It may be 220-240VAC 3-phase, but could be higher like 480VAC 3-phase. Study the diagram typically mounted on the mill motor. If there are strapping (hookup) options on the diagram, inspect the actual wire hookups inside the wire box.

Then determine what voltage your shop can provide. The VFD can "bridge" this voltage by "making" the voltage that the mill requires from your available power when specified properly.

If you have 220-240VAC 1-phase available, purchase a VFD that matches your power with that needed by the mill. If you only have 120VAC available, there are VFD that will work but low end torque on the mill will likely suffer.

Purchase a VFD that has a manual written in good english, otherwise it will be a PITA to understand.

Become familiar with operating the mill from the VFD front panel before attempting to wire up a remote control box.

Be advised do not connect any switches between the VFD and the motor. This will kill a VFD. All such switches and controls will have dedicated connections on the VFD.

Do a search on YouTube and you will find numerous video examples on how to do this. Watch many to get the gist of it, not just one.

Let us know of your progress on a new thread. This thread is going on nearly a decade old!

Back