Need help with a VFD for my mill

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Guys I am looking for some help to power my 2hp 3phase Kent KTM 380 mill. My electrical skills are limited but I can get help from a friend who is an electrician.

I am planning to use this VFD Hitachi WJ200 015SF Variable Frequency Drive 2 HP 230 Vac Single Phase Input | eBay

I would like run the VFD remotely. The drive will be mounted in a control box on the wall, with a small control box mounted on the mill that has a pot, e-stop, and forward and reverse buttons, and possibly a coolant pump switch within easy reach. I will probably mount this on the right side of the knee.

My questions are:

1) Is this a quality VFD, and the correct one?
2) where do I get the other electrical components....pot, e-stop, forward-rev. buttons....etc?
3) How do I know which components are correct...voltage wise?

I am certain I will have more questions as this project progresses.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

066_zpsf6041d88.jpg

066_zpsf6041d88.jpg

I did basically the same thing with a Bridgeport. I have an Hitachi on a different machine and have had no problems with it. On the bridgeport I simply wired the oem drum switch to the vfd low voltage controls for forward, stop, reverse. I also added a pot I got from radio shack. I don't have an e-stop though.

Just another way to go

Rick

This is my "bare bones" set up --- The VFD is wired off the oem switch and it stays on, the left toggle is just on/off 220v 20A that powers up the VFD, the center toggle is a common on/off/on that handles the low voltage for fwd/rev, and the pot is a radio shack special. they are stuffed in a radio shack box. Been up there for 5 years now and Ive never touched it since -- that Hitachi is good stuff.

HitachiVFD.jpg

HitachiVFD.jpg

Guys I am looking for some help to power my 2hp 3phase Kent KTM 380 mill. My electrical skills are limited but I can get help from a friend who is an electrician.

I am planning to use this VFD Hitachi WJ200 015SF Variable Frequency Drive 2 HP 230 Vac Single Phase Input | eBay

I would like run the VFD remotely. The drive will be mounted in a control box on the wall, with a small control box mounted on the mill that has a pot, e-stop, and forward and reverse buttons, and possibly a coolant pump switch within easy reach. I will probably mount this on the right side of the knee.

My questions are:

1) Is this a quality VFD, and the correct one?
2) where do I get the other electrical components....pot, e-stop, forward-rev. buttons....etc?
3) How do I know which components are correct...voltage wise?

I am certain I will have more questions as this project progresses.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
That Hitachi VFD would work fine on my 2hp, 3-phase Bridgeport so if your motor is 8a or less, it will work great from single phase 240v power. All of my big equipment in the shop is either 3-phase or DC motors, with VFDs powering all the 3-phase. The VFD on my Bridgeport is mounting in a box on the backside of the pedestal where it's out of the way. I built a remote panel to bring all the controls up close with my DRO. I use nothing but Allen-Bradley 800 series components, but that's just my personal choice. Anybodys components can easily be used to control the VFD. My recommendation is to spend some time reading stuff on VFDs so you understand what you're doing because they all basically work the same way. The programming of each is just slightly different from one brand to another, so you'll want the manual for your particular VFD which will walk you through the programming options to operate it remotely. Bill

Mill Panel 2b.jpg Mill Panel.jpg

I have the same VFD, and am very happy with it, though I found the software configuration tool difficult to use (you can do everything through the display in any case).
Here is a picture of my setup. My machine is CNC, so everything is controlled by the computer.

20131104_193802.jpg

20131104_193802.jpg

Everyone thank you for the replys! The pictures are very helpful!

Nightshift....what brand of Tach is that on your control?

...(snip)...Nightshift....what brand of Tach is that on your control?
It's called a Tachulator Module, made by Trexon.com in Toronto. You can buy them also from LittleMachineShop.com. About $100.

It works awesome with readouts for RPM and also SFPM if you enter the dia of the piece you're working on. Bill

I am wondering if you have any trouble with the vfd interfering with your radio?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am wondering if you have any trouble with the vfd interfering with your radio?
I've got at least 6 VFDs on various pieces of equipment in the shop and it has no effect on anything electronic in the shop ... radio, tv, wireless etc. Bill

I guess that is something that may be shop specific. I have read about noise filters ahead of the vfd and wondered if I needed one while I was wiring everything. Guess I will just wait and see.

Thanks

Back