[Newbie] Need help wiring 220v motor to Asian Lathe

Oh, including the overloads will only work if the running current of the new motor falls well within the amp setting of the dial. If the new motor is a lot bigger and draws more current than the old one you may have to leave it out. In that case I suggest inserting properly sized fuses in its place.

One last tidbit. There is usually an auxiliary contact on the overloads that is wired inline with the control power. The idea is that if the overload trips the aux contact opens and kills control power, dropping out the contactors. In your picture it's a little hard to see, but it looks like one of the wires has been moved over and the two wires are connected together under the same screw, effectively bypassing this feature. Just a heads up.

Overloads.jpg

MrDan
I will not include the red (rev) into the overload, since it is used much less.....sound OK?
On the above picture, there is a contact directly behind the front, current passes thru, it works as expected (tested by pulling trip rod above dial)
The dial has from 18-26 amps, the motor only draws 7.2a on high volt according to plate, so I set it minimum
Seems this motor draws less than original

I will post results after I try
Steve

And to be accurate, both the red and black are used during both forward and reverse, just with connections swapped. But interrupting either one would be fine.

MrDan, your a genius

I got tied up so that is why it took a little while to get back to it, and to post results

It works perfectly, Thank You
I'm so happy

Thanks again
Steve

Excellent Steve! Glad it's working, and glad I could contribute a little something.

Hi, Steve, I'm in Kleefeld with a Tida as well. I haven't had time on the site recently so I missed your post when it came out. I had some problems wiring mine as well. After spending some money on electricians who couldn't figure it out I finally got it done myself.
It would be nice to chat with another metalhead in the areaAl.

Last edited:
Back