need help please

msilhunter1

Active User
Registered
I'm restoring a southbend 9A. I can't get the shaft out. Something is holding it but I can't find it. Can someone help me? Thanks Craig

pic 022.JPG

I'm restoring a southbend 9A. I can't get the shaft out. Something is holding it but I can't find it. Can someone help me? Thanks Craig

Might check that gear and see if there is a small set screw or pin in between the teeth. There must be some sort of connection between the gear and it's drive shaft. That what I would check. Good Luck

I'm assuming we're looking at the underside of the qc box and you want to remove the shaft the holds the adjustment levers. It's been a long time since I had the one apart on my 10L, but I would think there would be a set screw on one of both ends....possibly a set screw on top of a set screw. If your not talking about that shaft....disregard.

Chuck

I did check around the box and shaft but see anything. Does anyone have a diagram on this model? The serial number is 50347NAR10. Thanks Craig

Craig, What is the hole on the left end of the casting in the picture?

Chuck

There was a pin in their about 1/4 of a inch. I had to drill it out. Maybe I didn't drill it out enough. I didn't want to damage the shaft. I'll try to drill it more if you thank it will help. Is that the only thing it would be. Thanks Craig

It would seem strange to hold that shaft with a pin driven into a blind hole. Why don't you post the question under the south bend lathe section where someone that's more familiar with that model can answer the question for you.

Chuck

Take it to an automotive machine shop and have them hot tank it. No more goo! Tim

I just recently had my Sheldon's gear box apart and the axle shaft for the change gear levers was was retained at both ends of the shaft by a spring clip that seats into a slot milled in the bearing bore.

Maybe similar?

Back