Need Help Mounting A Dumore Tool Post Grinder To Colchester Lathe

I would bet a compound from a different model like the student would fit. Some one here may have one that could take measurements for you.

I don't know what your cross slide looks like without the compound, but I am building a tool post grinder. ( a thread on here somewhere). I remove my compound, mount the post and it will turn to any angle.

Make a "Z' plate to mount on the bung for the tool holder, keeping the center post mounted on the compound. Bore a hole in the Z plate to mount over the bung, and make a spacer and use the center post nut and washers to mount the plate onto the compound. The Z offset should be enough to put the grinder spindle on center with the lathe spindle. The Z plate and butt against the compound either on the side or front. You will need to fabricate something to mount the grinder to the Z plate.

Thanks guys, some good feedback on here. I don't want to bore out the tool post as I like to keep things original or at least able to return to original and that would be past the point of no return.

I like the idea of trying to find or possibly make a top slide. I think that it will come off when you feed it in all the way but not sure. The Z plate/adapter, if I am understanding the idea, would likely not work. With the post sticking up off the top of the tool slide, I can't see how I could put this on and not either be way too far back, way too far forward or too far on either side of the slide.

Does anyone know if there are slides that are mountable/universal? I was just thinking that with the tool slide off, I could put a different universal slide on it and mount the grinder to that.

Wouldn't it be possible to use the Tee Nut Slot that is on the left of the compound (chuck side)?
Or does the #57 not use a post and thru bolt like mine?
Can't tell what size that slot is though...

Wouldn't it be possible to use the Tee Nut Slot that is on the left of the compound (chuck side)?
Or does the #57 not use a post and thru bolt like mine?
Can't tell what size that slot is though...
Interesting idea but there would be too much to remove to make that useful. So much shaft, pulleys, etc. on the grinder. Thanks!

I have a lathe like yours, I made my own QCTP, and here is how i altered the compound to accept the turret from my new system.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/home-made-qctp.44801/#post-382095
You did an awesome job on that QCTP. Very nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Back