Need help in Gib Adjustment.

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was going to start my vise project today. I wanted to make sure my vise was square. I noticed the sweeps were inconsistent, .0016", .0008", then from the other direction I got .0004".
I thought that was strange so I thought I grabbed the table to see if I could get any movement. I got quite a bit. I think it was .003-.005" movement on the DTI.
I thought I'd better check my gibs. I tightened the front gib for the saddle and broke the screw. I got that out easily. So then I notice that the table has two screws at each end. Then I realize the saddle is the same. I'm not familiar with these as my lathe has a notch in the gib so you only use one screw.
My question is how is the proper way to adjust these?
Also is there any reason to take the table off and clean and inspect for wear or chips and whatnot?
The mill is a Grizzly g1004.

Last edited:
I got it all adjusted. Found a video after watching the one above from Mr. Rucker. He showed how to use the indicator to test the gibs. Anyway the knee adjustment was a little odd. The gib is adjusted now so that there is very little movement when I pull up on and push down on the table. I noticed when I lower the table it drops away .005". I then loosened the knee gib and there was much less difference but to much deflection. Also now there is much more backlash on the knee screw. I think that's because the knee is not dropping on it's won weight so the screw has to force it down, if that makes sense.

I readjusted the knee gib. Loosened it up and the table moves nicely. However pulling up on the table shows .010" movement so I tightened it back down some. I got to the point where the table was hanging up when moving it down causing chatter. Backed off a little and it seems okay now. Movement is still around .001".
I never really thought of the backlash in the knee but now it explains some problems I've had in the past.

I always use the lock to help prevent any of these issues. I try to lock everything, knee, table, and quill prior to making any cuts.

Okay. I do sometimes on heavier cuts if I remember.
Need to make some new lockdown handles.
As long as you lock everything down is it okay to run the gibs a little loose?

Okay. I do sometimes on heavier cuts if I remember.
Need to make some new lockdown handles.
As long as you lock everything down is it okay to run the gibs a little loose?

There really is no way around it. You need some looseness for the ways to slide smoothly as you are finding out. Machines with more wear on the ways will have to be run more loose if you want full travel of that slide. Otherwise, it is as you are finding out, the slide doesn't want to move easily in some areas.

Getting gibs adjusted just right can be a pain, I know I've fought them on my Clausing. Seems they go from too loose to too tight.
Using locks can help, like Randy said, but not always an option. Lighter cuts can minimize vibrations, but makes it a pain if you have to remove a lot of material.
You might try a slightly heavier lube on your Vee ways to minimize vibrations as well.

Back