Need Help In Cutting My Aluminum Rods

muscleflex

Active User
Registered
Hi all,
I just need help in choosing a tool for cutting my aluminum rods.
I need to cut 5mm and 6mm aluminum solid round bars (rods) (3/16 and 1/4 size in Imperial)
I also need to cut 3mm stainless steel (1/8th size) rods.

I cut them to around 15cm in length.
(Sorry, the photo below is of the bent rods I had to return back to the shop)
IMG_1572%201_zpsljwkqjnl.jpg

At the moment, I cut them manually using a hacksaw and a miter box and it helps but my fingers ache after a while as the rods are too thin for me to grab onto. Also it's a slow process as well.

Lately I've started using my dremel with a HSS saw to cut my rods. Whilst it's scary, it does make the work faster..
But I must have worked it hard and it started smoking (the dremel) last weekend.

So.. can anyone please tell me what tool I need (cheap please - not costing hundreds or thousands!)
I've read in the past that some people recommend using a band saw.

If that's the case, will something like this be enough for my needs?
I need to cut up to 50 rods at a time..
http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach... Power Tools&gclid=CPqw3a_0pMQCFXGWtAodfQgArw

Thank you.

could you just buy the right sized pins? seems like a really tedious task that could be fixed by buying material pre-cut to size.

otherwise, a vertical bandsaw would be a good option, or a portaband resting on it's head, and feed the material into it versus feeding the sawing into the stock.

Could you maybe duct tape several pieces of stock together and cut them at once? This would probably speed things up even with the hacksaw and miter box, or you could do it on the bandsaw. I've seen too where guys have welded one end of all the rods together so none of them can slide out while you're cutting. Fwiw

I would cut them into shorter lengths, some multiple of your final plus an allowance for saw kerfs. bundle them up and clamp with a hose clamp. Tape will also work. Seven pieces will make a hex shaped bundle as will 19 and 39. Cut with a band saw, power hack saw, etc. I used to use this method for cutting 1/8 X 1" steel strap into 3" lengths. and it made short work of it in my horizontal band saw.
You can also cut aluminum with a carbide tipped table saw or radial arm saw as well; just make sure that they are securely supported and you feed slowly. In that case, I would cut one or two at a time and set a stop for the right length. It would go fairly quickly.

=================================================

This may be the best bet for both Aluminum and the SS.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cps200-metal-shears?da=1&TC=RV-051210074

They also make something called a Rod Shear. Looks the same as the one above, but made just for cutting metal rod stock. Material is fed through holes in the blades. I did not see any listed in the site with the chop saw. --- John

One place I worked cut theres on a HF mini- cut off with a slitting saw instead of a cut off wheel. Just needed to make up a stop for it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-61900.html

=======================================================================

I have one of the HF mini saws. They only come with a 2" saw blade. You have to buy 2" cut-off wheels from someplace else. HF does not sell the cut-off wheels for it. The 2" saw that comes with the mini unit, does a quick job of cutting Brass and Aluminum. I use it to cut 7mm Brass rod to make carb jets. Also picked up a .040 saw blade to plunge cut a screwdriver slot in the end of each jet. --- I also put a cut-off wheel on it to cut off # 8-32 ss bolts. It is very slow, as the motor does not have the power. HF has a 6" chop saw, with a cut-off wheel. I am sure it would be great for the 1/8" ss rod, but you would have to find a fine tooth saw blade, that would fit the saw, for the aluminum.

I would have bought the 6" HF saw, but was trying to save some money. I was making prototype adjustable carb jets at the time. Sales of the adjustable units are looking good, so I think I will look into one of the HF 6" chop saws if I can find a fine tooth blade that will fit it. I also have parts made from 5/8" hex Aluminum bar. Mini 2" saw will only cut 1/2" deep. The 6" saw will do the job. --- John

Back