Need Help In Changing Oil On My Enco Lathe

CannonFodder

Active User
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1992 Enco Lathe and I have decided to change the oil in the large gearbox in the head. I have purchased a gallon of Mobil D.T.E. medium (the "light" only came in 5 gallon buckets), and I am draining what appears to be motor oil out of it right now. But I have a few questions.

The owners manual says to rinse it out with Kerosene. Is that a good practice? Do I run the machine all closed up full of kerosene? How long? How many times with clean kerosene? Does anyone know how much fluid it takes to fill the machine?

Thanks for your help, and feel free to give me any other tips along these lines, I appreciate it!

CannonFodder (Bob)

Depending on the size of the lathe, a gallon might be enough.

I would pour in about 3/4 gallon of kerosene, and a quart of oil. Run it closed up for about 10-15 minutes at medium speed, then drain and refill with the DTE.

As far s how much, there should be a sight glass or a level plug somewhere.

While you are in there, I would put a strong magnet in the bottom, this will keep it cleaner in the future.

This is obviously after the fact but I was told to put ATF in my Enco 13x40, chickened out on that and went with tractor hydraulic/transmission oil, no problems.
Have a good day!
Ray

How did the kerosene work at cleaning up your gear case? Just curious.

Thanks!

GG

Back