Need Help Identifying old benchtop lathe

I was wondering why no markings anywhere... looking now at a few, they would place a metal name plate with the brand/model... so if that it is missing, very difficult to determine what it is unless you can match it visually...

I checked a bunch of the images from post #11, but I only got 1/6 the way down, or so. No joy.

While out at a garage sale they had this little lathe. The guy offered it to me for $10 and I brought it home. It is an older lathe, possibly from the late 1880-1930's. There are no identifying marks or name plates on any part of it. It has a 8" swing and has about 16" between centers. The bed casting is 32" long. Little bit smaller than my Jet BD920n. The spindle looks to be able to take a collet but measuring it I cannot figure out what kind. Spindle has a thread of 1.3123 x 10 TPI. Just want to try to find out what it is before I tear it apart. It needs to have the grease fittings removed and replaced with oilers. Needs a step pulley. Also would like to know the color of typical lathes of this time period. It has black, grey and green paint on it from over the years.

View attachment 458556
View attachment 458557
View attachment 458558
View attachment 458559
View attachment 458560

The tailstock has a #1 MT. Live center is marked The Ready Tool Company Bridgeport CT. I have dated it around 1930.

I have always wanted to build a turret attachment for my metal lathe and figure this would be a good lathe to play around with. I will probably build the one from Popular Science June 1924 pages 99-101 by Joe V. Romig just for fun.

Thanks in advance for any help.
nice project...

It might be a 'speed lathe'. A second operation lathe intended for high volume production work. Used like a manual version of a screw machine.

Back