Need help getting carbide lathe inserts.

Del Schier

Registered
Registered
I have ordered what I thought would be the right inserts twice now and got the wrong ones and had to return them.
It should be simple, but searching for them no online seller seems to include what size they are. Just incomplete or cryptic non=ANSI part numbers.
I have tried to figure out the ANSI alpha-numeric numbering system but nothing sold seems to match.
I don't know who made my quick-change tool holder but it uses triangular inserts that are ~ .7 + inches in included diameter and .158" thick, with flathead hex hold down screws, in 1/2" holders.
Can someone help me find a new set of inserts, maybe with the appropriate ANSI part number? The ones I had for years have worked well but are getting worn and damaged. I would like inserts that are best for non-ferrous metals. Most of the things I make for my homebuilt airplane are of aluminum.
Where can I get the right size and type for a reasonable price. They are probably on Amazon but no way can I determine what size they are from the ads.
Thanks in advance.

Post a picture of your toolholder. All the ones I have, have a number stamped on the side, you can determine what to order from that number.

The numbers you see online could be ISO numbers, they use different designations than ANSI for the same inserts. This chart from Carbide Depot will help you see the differences in insert types.

Since I made asked for help on this forum I got some tool holders from Amazon that acutally fit my tool post. They have 250-102 on them and are for my 1/2" insert holders. See attached:
The charts indicate I need ANSI TCXT.633.XXXX.000000 where X and 0 are optional but what is best for aluminum? For ISO TCXT.150402
So maybe these: https://www.amazon.com/OSCARBIDE-Carbide-TCMT16T304-TCMT32-51-Replacement/dp/B0819CY784/ref=sxin_14_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?cv_ct_cx=TCMT.633+inserts&keywords=TCMT.633+inserts&pd_rd_i=B0819CY784&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=1-2-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1
Thanks in advance and have a great holiday!
IMG_2478.jpg

Personally for aluminum, I'd use TCGT inserts as they are ground and sharp. They do well for aluminum, as well as steel. Of course on steel they have a shorter life, but they do make a very nice finish. Assuming they are 32.51 inserts then something like this might work.

Assuming you can wait, or as future spares, you can get this for less. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...514740!sea!US!0!AB&curPageLogUid=fngxtuFqJ0o6

I've bought similar stuff like this from AliExpress or eBay and I can say they are fine for hobby machinist purposes. In the beginning, you will break stuff. It's better to break 85 cent inserts than $5 or $10 ones. Are they as good? Probably not, but they are good enough for me. I have yet to ruin a part because of an insert. But I have accidentally chipped the inserts due to my carelessness, or screw ups. If I was using inserts to make money, I'd buy better ones, simply because of uptime. But for messing around and doing hobby stuff, these are probably fine.

One note - if the finish suddenly starts to get crappy, (especially on TCGT's) it's probably because there's a tiny chip in the tip of the insert. You may need a 10x magnifier, but there is a chip. Your only option is to rotate the tool post slightly so the chip isn't cutting, or to switch cutting edges by rotating the insert in the tool.

Thanks Wobbly, and Merry Christmas.
I think I finally figured out the ANSI and ISO size numbering. After the letters I need ANSI 16 or ISO 32.51 so I won't be ordering the wrong size again.
I just ordered some TCMT inserts from Amazon and I will get the TCGT ones from Ali, I can wait for them to come from China.
I have had my lathe for years and have made dozen's of things for my experimental airplane. I am definitely a hobby machinist but I enjoy using the lathe and also my table top CNC mill.
The inserts I had came with my lathe that I purchased used. Most of the tips are worn out or damaged so it is time.
Probably the pictured aluminum piece is the most difficult thing I have done. The turning on the lathe, a tool & die maker friend did milled the flats on his Bridgeport and I did the large radius on my little CNC mill. It was an upgrade for the spring assembly for my airplanes nose gear.
Gear aluminum end.jpg

Back