Need help figuring out worth

Rellimit

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping to get some help figuring out the worth of my lathe. I'm not a machinist and have no experience with lathes -- have tried researching this online with zero results. Here's the back story: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/26629-Introduction?referrerid=33986
We live in Portland, OR -- and we have a potential buyer who is asking what our price is. From what I can tell, this is a Central Machinery 8x20 model 34632, and it seems like there are a lot of tools included. Attached are pictures -- forgive me if I included pictures of things that aren't part of the lathe. Please help me figure out if I should ask $200, $2000 or anywhere in-between. Many thanks!

IMG_01.JPG IMG_02.JPG IMG_03.JPG IMG_04.JPG IMG_05.JPG IMG_06.JPG IMG_07.JPG IMG_08.JPG IMG_09.JPG IMG_10.JPG IMG_11.JPG

Thank you for the pictures. I don't need to come look at it. It was made in China and sold by Harbor Freight in the late 90's and seems to be pretty rare. I could only find reference to 3 of them anywhere. I think I have seen a similar lathe under another brand name. Rare in this case does not mean valuable, rather the inverse. Since there is no information, that means that parts are not available. Since I can't find any information at all, I'm going to guess that the lathe sold new for around $1000 - $1200 Maybe someone else can jump in here, and help with identification and price.

The lathe looks clean and well cared for, no obvious wear evident in the pictures. Almost new in fact. It looks like the tooling has never been used, given that the tooling is still apparently in the original packaging. The oil in the headstock is low.

Pictures 1, 9, and 11 don't seem to have anything to do with the lathe. Picture 8 looks like a tool post grinder attachment, never seen one quite like that. It says Drilling and Grinding Attachment, a very odd combination.

If I were you, I would learn how to use it, could be fun. But if you really want to sell it, maybe put it on Craigslist for around $800 and see what happens. You can always come down from there.

That seems like a reasonable price Jim - it's a good hobby lathe, but it doesn't appear to have much tooling, so $800 seems about right. Throw all the other stuff/ junk in as a sweetener or way to get rid of it!

In comparison, decently tooled 10x logans and the like seem to go for around $1000-1200 in this area, sometimes a lot less, occasionally a bit more.

That appers to be a change gear lathe and I don't see any change gears. Unless you can find te gears might not get much. Althou the tool post grinder is interesting.

That appers to be a change gear lathe and I don't see any change gears. Unless you can find te gears might not get much. Althou the tool post grinder is interesting.
I think they are in this box: attachment.php

That lathe sold new for $600-700 in 2007 (depending on if you snagged it on sale, and it was even less if you used the 20% off coupons that were available everywhere).

The tool post grinder sold for $120-160 in 2009.

I hate to say this, but if you advertise it for $800, you won't get a single call.

I would say advertise it at $500, and let it go for $400, and you will be making a killing. And no, I don't want to buy it, so I am not trying to talk the price down. That is the reality of used prices on cheap asian lathes.

I know you think that it is "well tooled", but it is not. Most of the stuff in those boxes has little to do with operating the lathe. Separate out the motors and sell them on ebay.

The Harbor Freight 8x20 was reportedly actually decent for that size of machine; a significant improvement over the 7x12 mini-lathes. The Harbor Freight was a cheaper alternative to the much-beloved Lathemaster 8x14 sold between 2004-2010. Keep it and learn to use it, you aren't going to make much money off of it.

Last edited:
Back