Need Help, Didn't Know Where To Put This Ge Motor

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys and gals. I just got an old general electric tri clad induction motor. The wires are a mess. I'd like to know how to wire it for 115 Volt.

The motor is as described above. It is 115/230 V, 1725 rpm, 1.5 hp, single phase, 145T frame. It has 12 wires, all white and numbered 1-10. two do not have anything. Does anyone have any idea how to wire this for 115. or does anyone have one of these with a wiring plate on it, that could post a pic of it?

Looks like the model number is 5hc145al2003y. Also wires 7 &6 are wired together as are 2&3, wire 8 is wired to one that doesn't have a number.

Can anyone help me here??

Last edited:
OK guys and gals. I just got an old general electric tri clad induction motor. The wires are a mess. I'd like to know how to wire it for 115 Volt.

The motor is as described above. It is 115/230 V, 1725 rpm, 1.5 hp, single phase, 145T frame. It has 12 wires, all white and numbered 1-10. two do not have anything. Does anyone have any idea how to wire this for 115. or does anyone have one of these with a wiring plate on it, that could post a pic of it?

Looks like the model number is 5hc145al2003y. Also wires 7 &6 are wired together as are 2&3, wire 8 is wired to one that doesn't have a number.

Can anyone help me here??
Photo of the nameplate?

I'll get some pictures listed today. I've dug around the net quite a bit and I think this motor needs a start and run capacitor. Four of the wires have terminals on them that would allow for pushing down upon the 4 posts of the two capacitors, that would be 4 wires, then there are a total of 6 that are joined together leaving two for the power cord. That is a total of 12. So it looks like I have to find out what wires with the terminals on the end go to what posts on the capacitators. From there I just have to find out if it is wired for 115 or 230.

I wonder just what start and run capacitors to buy, anyone with any ideas on this motor?

It looks to me like the model # is actually 5Kc145al2003y. I would do some net searching and try to find as much info as you can. Also see if there is a motor shop in your area that might identify it. Don't buy any caps just yet.
MS

Mark, I think you right. I'll hold off on the capacitors. Busy wrestling with the wires.

So I got this this new volt meter and figured out the ohm section. I put both the leads from the meter on the connectors (both at the same time) from the 4 wires that I would summize go the 2 capacitors and all of them read 1.2 on the meter. So I wondering what is going on?

Motor windings have very low resistance so you need a meter that has a very low ohms range, about 10 ohms or less full scale; most inexpensive meters don't go low enough. But even so, that will only give a rough idea which windings are which. I would still try to locate a spec sheet and wiring diagram for that motor. You could try plugging that model number into some online cross-reference databases and see if you can get a match. Also try emailing some motor shops and dealers and pick their brains. Somebody out there has the info you seek. Try Grainger too.
Mark S.

You could just pull the end cap and trace the wires from the centrifugal switch.

Back