Need Help Blueprinting A Part

My first hurdle however is where do I get something 12x12x6 is that even available?

It's available somewhere, I would start with the local metal vendors. Local to me, Coast Aluminum shows 6 inch thick plate listed in 6061-T6. But again, I would want 7075 for that application.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the exact same part in aluminum be lighter simply due to aluminum being lighter than steel? why would I have to measure the volume?
Essentially that's what I wanted to do is just get all the coordinates, plan the process of operation and make chips! I have all the tools I need to measure this I just wasnt sure how to go about measuring it all.
As far as safety goes I honestly don't think I'll have an issue like I said before there are plenty of cast aluminum knuckled vehicles that hold up just fine and the fact that they could break in an crash could be somewhat advantageous in the sense less force is transmitted to the driver in the event of an accident, they wont fall apart on their own and in the event of an accident something has to break doesn't it?
I deffinetly leaning more towards the solid block route I don't really want to cast this part but I'm willing to try if that's my only option but I know it's not :p I don't have a DRO but I could just 0 my hand wheels and mark the table and it should all work out the same right? I know this is a big project but time isn't a factor and I honestly just like challenging myself and keeping myself busy I like to learn in anyway I can! :D

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the exact same part in aluminum be lighter simply due to aluminum being lighter than steel? why would I have to measure the volume?

What I am suggesting is to remove enough material from the steel one to bring it down to the weight of the aluminum one. You need the volume to be able to calculate the weight in aluminum. I guess you could just do it mathematically also.

I don't have a DRO but I could just 0 my hand wheels and mark the table and it should all work out the same right?

Probably close enough.

For the feature and hole location, pick a point and measure from there. I would probably start with the bearing hole and the mill table as my 0,0,0 point and plot the X, Y, Z coordinates from there.

For the tapers, use the mating part to measure the rise over the run, a little trig will give you the angle. You can use the same technique to measure the angles on the part.

A cheap touch probe would be a real help here.

Aahhh ok I understand what you where saying now, that's a good option too I'll have to see how much I can take off.
measuring the male part didn't even cross my mind but that's a simple solution thank you! maybe I'm just over thinking this I feel blonde right now XD

Welp time to scrap this idea unless anyone knows where to get cheaper material got quoted 600 for a 6x12x12 block of 7075...

Welp time to scrap this idea unless anyone knows where to get cheaper material got quoted 600 for a 6x12x12 block of 7075...
I still think you should consider a weldment. You'd machine the parts, send them out to be welded, and then machine the weldment to final dimensions. Would require a lot more design work, of course.

@John hasler how does a weldment work? I've never really heard of those...
A weldment is just a thing made by a welder. The idea is to design and make a set of parts out of plate, bar, tubing, etc that can be welded up into something that you can then machine to exact dimensions. This would get you away from the need for a humongous block of metal.

Hmmmm... Ill have to look into this a little more...

as you said you have the capacity, to melt aluminum, i would do a lost foam casting. careful thinking could give you a great part to start with. . . . . . . do your research on lost foam. it may surprise you.

Back