Need color match older Jet green, some mods to my 12 X 36 lathe

454ragtop

Registered
Registered
I have a Jet 1236P lathe from the 80's, got it many years ago from a school surplus sale. It didn't come with a steady or follower rest. but I ended up finding an Enco lathe with them for cheap and bought it. I'm cleaning up these rests and painting them, but having a hard time finding a spray bomb in a close color. Ended up buying some Majic Rust Kill Machinery Green at TSC, not a bad color, but the lathe is more like what I would call avocado green. You can see the difference in the pic of the top of the steady leaning on the headstock, which also shows the Hunter Green switch plate for the speed control pot for the VFD. Any ideas, besides a custom mix? I'd like to paint the head and tail stock as the kids at school must have scraped the paint up pretty good in spots.
As to mods, I added a 3 phase motor and VFD, controlling fwd/rev with the original apron mounted switch, and speed adjustments with the headstock mounted pot. I replaced the SHCS that mount the compound and follow rest with 8 MM bolts with 10MM washer head bolts. much easier to work with, they don't fill up with swarf. Keep a 10MM wrench right on the side of the apron. I made a lever/ handle for the carriage lock for the same reason. Lastly, I finally got all setup for 5C collets, made a spindle thread protector from the hub of an old brake rotor. I really like this lathe.
Jim
20231009_164337_resized.jpg20231009_164018_resized.jpg20231009_164028_resized.jpg20231009_164034_resized.jpg20231009_164103_resized.jpg20231009_164130_resized.jpg20230918_185114_resized.jpg

In case you change your mind and go with a custom mixed color, here’s what I used on my 1982 vintage Enco lathe. It came out pretty darn close to my eye. In the photo, the tailstock has been repainted and the lathe bed is original.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 17
It always amazes me what a good automotive paint supplier can do nowadays. If you can find a shop that does it, a small area on a relatively small sample can be scanned. The shop can mix it, reproduce the type of paint and then supply you with ready to spray aerosol cans.

The original paint has aged to the point it's almost a greenish-grey. I'll bet you could get a close match with a few cans of
the Rustoleum brush enamel colors and mix them.
Another idea would be to detach a (smaller) part of the lathe and bring it to the paint store so they can scan it

The color name for that type of common machinery paint is called Reseda Green. I bought that color from Sherwin Williams and it was a touch too light, and bought another can from an east coast supplier that was a little dark, but at 50/50 it was an ideal match for my green machine. While researching colors, the RAL code for Reseda Green was the true match, neither supplier managed to really nail the RAL spec.

The RAL code is #6011.

ral-841-gl-6000-6011-innen.jpg

While working on my truck I had the auto paint shop match the 14 year old faded paint that was on the truck, The original factory color was not even close.

Thanks guys. I'm aware of the ability to have custom paint matched and mixed to match, was really just looking for a commercially available spray bomb. The Reseda green looked promising, found this https://www.lvppaints.com/RAL-6011-12-Oz-Touch-Up-Paint.html , but the the $20.00 and change shipping charge for 1 can was a deal breaker. Thought maybe someone would say. they found an obscure match somewhere. I actually like the Machinery green color better, so might just paint the whole lathe with it, though the front of the bed would be a pain,
Jim

Back