Need answers before this deal passes me up

deadfrednc

Active User
Registered
Hey guys I'm looking at a craftsman lathe on craigslist it looks to be a 12" from pics and the bed also looks to be longer than mine. I have a 10" this lathe is pretty well trashe but I would like to know if I could use my internals from my 10" in the 12" headstock and I'm almost certain the beds are the same but if someone could verify that also that would be great. Thanks Richard

The head stocks between a 10" Atlas and a 12" Craftsman are certainly not going to be the same. Why do you ask? Are the bearings in the Craftsman shot?

I'm not sure the guy with the lathe is being very difficult to work with. I would like to use the headstock on my 10" but if anything is damaged I'm not in a position to spend much on fixing it so I'm wondering how much of the internals are interchangeable between a 10 and 12 IE spindle, back gears an so on.

What is your 10" model number and what is the 12" model number. Or answer the first question and send me the Craigslist URL. Depending upon the answers, the back gear parts, the spindle and all the parts on it could all be the same. Most of the carriage parts might be the same. The compounds and the tailstocks are not the same. The beds, except for length, might be the same. Etc. It depends upon which model each machine is.

Robert D.

Back