Need advice on best way to do this

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I asked a week or two ago about change gears for my 1946 leblond. Since the gears on the Leblond are a defunct 14DP gear, I have decided to change it out to a more standard 16DP gear set.

All of the gears from boston are 1/2 thick 3/4 bore. The bushing the gear runs on in the adjustable quadrant is 3/4 diameter so everything fits perfectly there. However, the drive gear shaft and the QCGB shaft are 11/16 diameter.

What would be the best way to fit the 3/4 bore on the 11/16 shaft? I would think a thin adapter sleeve would be too thin at 1/32 wall. These are not friction surfaces, so this may be ok, but might be a little difficult to make with my current abilities. My other thought would be to bore the gear out and then make a thicker adapter bushing.

I would prefer not to modify the actual lathe and just modify the auxiliary parts that fit on it.

Any other thoughts?

I think you are on the right track; 1/32 is pretty thin- you might get lucky and come across some thinwall steel tubing that would fit, but boring out the
gear to around 7/8 and making a thicker bushing would be a good way to go also, and if you screw up on the concentricity you can redo the bore and bush. Use a faceplate if you can to mount the gears for boring. May have to make some clamps or fixtures to hold the gear against it.
Mark S.

Or get blank gears and drill and bore to size.

Since you mentioned getting a different gear to start. I looked and they have a different spur gear that has a .50 bore. I could bore this out, and broach a keyway and be good to go. This seems like it would a better fit to start with. It has a hub projection that would actually work perfectly for the metric transition as well. I would just flip the gear around instead of using a spacer of some sort.

Sounds like a plan. sometimes things work out better than we planned.

Back