Need a Straight Edge?

Daryl,
If Richard can transport, I'd be more than happy to deliver out to you. My folks live just down the road from him and I'm not too far from there.
Thanks to Richard for the initial offer! Pretty rare opportunity.

Tadd

I will take a 48" Raw Camelback. I know what these are worth.

Let me know when you want paid and how.

I sincerely appreciate the opportunity.

Daryl, surely I could kick in to offset your time and tool wear?

I will take a 48" Raw Camelback. I know what these are worth.

Let me know when you want paid and how.

I sincerely appreciate the opportunity.

Daryl, surely I could kick in to offset your time and tool wear?

I appreciate the offer!
What I'd like to do is for everyone to wait until everyone recieve their box. If on evaluation you are satisfied. I'd like to encourage everyone to independantly make a donation to the HM site. As each individual is able, and only according to how they value their box. I would not anticipate that anyone would identify if they made a donation or how much. Note: I should have this approved by HM site administration.

Besides, we are all in this together paying forward as best we can.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,
consider it sanctioned. Nice gesture and much appreciated by all, I'm sure.

I bought one for Marshall and was going to put it in my car and bring it back, but it was to awkward to fit inside the frt seat as the back doors are locked and I can't open them...So it is sitting there at Busch. Marshall can cal Bob at Busch and will skid it and ship it frt collect or if you have a UPS # he will ship it that way. I am not selling them, Busch is. They have 3 left and if any of you other guys want one, call Busch directly. I am now helping Chris the fellow who was willing to host a class in his garage in Madison. I am going to help rebuild his Craftsman lathe for a couple of days. They will sell the other size castings. You have to call them. Bush also has some huge way grinders if anyone needs a lathe bed ground. Rich

PS: Busch told me they would host a scraping seminar if we can generate enough students. Their factory tour would be fun fr everyone attending a seminar. The only issue is the won't do a Sunday class. Would have to be a 2 days class or Thurs-Sat. We would need 8 students.

I bought one for Marshall and was going to put it in my car and bring it back, but it was to awkward to fit inside the frt seat as the back doors are locked and I can't open them...So it is sitting there at Busch. Marshall can cal Bob at Busch and will skid it and ship it frt collect or if you have a UPS # he will ship it that way. I am not selling them, Busch is. They have 3 left and if any of you other guys want one, call Busch directly. I am now helping Chris the fellow who was willing to host a class in his garage in Madison. I am going to help rebuild his Craftsman lathe for a couple of days. They will sell the other size castings. You have to call them. Bush also has some huge way grinders if anyone needs a lathe bed ground. Rich

PS: Busch told me they would host a scraping seminar if we can generate enough students. Their factory tour would be fun fr everyone attending a seminar. The only issue is the won't do a Sunday class. Would have to be a 2 days class or Thurs-Sat. We would need 8 students.

Thank you Richard.
I wasn't clear on the transport situation.
I will contact Busch directly for my raw cast.

The box offer stands for HM Members, same terms. However, you will owe me for shipping.
Please PM me if you want a box. Provide contact and a ship to address.

Daryl
MN

I called and talked with Robert at Busch, and ordered a 48" incher. With shipping it should cost about $250. So what is the next step to making the raw casting a nice straight edge? Find a local shop to grind if flat? Is there any particulaly good way/machine to do that? I think I am going to cut it in half and make two 24" inchers.

Thanks
Ray

I know this may be a bit OT, so please don't hate me. Many years ago, I came across a moving and storage company in Santa Rosa, Ca that was having a sale on unclaimed belongings. I checked it out and came away with a 60" Starrett straight edge for $15 and a number of other precision tools; midrometers, calipers, gauges, etc. Everything was in mint condition. If it wasn't for that find, I would never have had the money to buy the precision tools I now own.

I called and talked with Robert at Busch, and ordered a 48" incher. With shipping it should cost about $250. So what is the next step to making the raw casting a nice straight edge? Find a local shop to grind if flat? Is there any particulaly good way/machine to do that? I think I am going to cut it in half and make two 24" inchers.

Thanks
Ray

You should do what you like with your iron. But I will bother you for a moment and try and talk you out of cutting one up. A Camelback is an odd shape to halve (being tall in the center, the 2 would be tall on 1 end).

That's all I had really, I sure don't want to be rude but 24"s come up on fleabay now and then. The longer ones 48" and above are rare bird$ and they can be like a pistol:

“A gentleman rarely needs a pistol, but when he does he needs it very very badly.”
–Winston Churchill

A good friend that works in Milwaukee is going to pick up mine on Friday.
He has a small stack of cast iron with my name on it already, another 80 pounds isn't going to be noticeable.
With some luck I will be making a road trip there before I am laid up for awhile from surgery.

A public thank you to Richard for thinking of us. And Daryl also!!

Marshall

hmmm let me see ...hmmm what are they charging now on credit card interest? 26% per week sounds fair? LOL

now don't forget uncle Richard needs to get paid sooner then later.....LOL.

I looked at the Busch catalog today and you would need to do some carving to get a cut in 1/2 and looks good...
I am scraping the ways of a Craftsman lathe......should have it done tomorrow. I hope.
Rich

Back