Need A Centering Square: What Do You Guys Recommend?

Nicely done Bob: I like the look of your scriber. I'll have to add that to my list of projects.
Sorry, I did not mention that the pic I posted earlier (above) is of a genuine Starrett scriber, a modern part, pic borrowed from the web. Top photo below shows my Starrett hardened set at the left, Lufkin hardened set at the right, PEC 18" scale at the bottom. In the bottom pic you can see the length of the tube where the scriber fits into the head, above the scribers in the pic. The top scriber is the one I made for the Starrett set, the bottom one is off the Lufkin set. Lufkin agrees with me that scribers need to be made longer. The Starrett set came to me one piece at a time, part of various tool lots I picked up. One day I saw that I had enough pieces to make a complete set. They all had surface rust, grime, and looked like scrap metal. I probably do not have over $10-15 in the Starrett set, plus some work, of course. I bought the Lufkin set earlier for $40, it needed a pretty major cleanup as well. I have calibrated both sets. They were both very close before adjusting them. Both sets have their original paint. The PEC 18" scale was bought new from HJE, a blem, for something like $10-15, a "blem." The PEC scales are very nice, and are available as blems from HJE and from eBay pretty cheap.
Disclaimer: I have never actually used a scriber from a combination set. I never remember it is there! But it does look naked without it...
SAM_1778.JPG

SAM_1786.JPG

1514065174650.png

1514065211564.png

Ah, I get it on the scriber. When you said knurled brass, I thought you finished it black somehow. Before you brought it up, I never even
knew they came with scribers and have wondered what the holes in the heads were for. I guess I'll keep my eye out for one, and perhaps
for a Starrett rule as well. Nice job on the shop made part.

I also like your sets. Was the sort of olive drab color on the Lufkin parts the standard color, or is that a WWII era deal like the paint on my
Logan? Both sets look great. Sounds like you bought 'em right as well.

Ah, I get it on the scriber. When you said knurled brass, I thought you finished it black somehow. Before you brought it up, I never even
knew they came with scribers and have wondered what the holes in the heads were for. I guess I'll keep my eye out for one, and perhaps
for a Starrett rule as well. Nice job on the shop made part.

I also like your sets. Was the sort of olive drab color on the Lufkin parts the standard color, or is that a WWII era deal like the paint on my
Logan? Both sets look great. Sounds like you bought 'em right as well.
I never studied the history of the Lufkin squares. It is certainly original, and excellent quality. I try to buy stuff not on sale, not at wholesale, not at Black Friday prices, but rather good things, that look bad, that appear to be functionally good, for dirt cheap prices from people who do not know what they are selling. I don't pay much attention to stuff for sale on this forum, you guys know what your stuff is worth!
And yes, I go to church and repent after every transaction... NOT! I do not steal things, I buy stuff for cash at mutually agreed upon prices. We both walk away smiling.
-Bob

Back