Myford Super 7 To A Link Belt

Ernienoatrainz

Registered
Registered
Has anyone change the main power belt on a Myford Super 7 to a link belt. Any advice would be great.

I have used Fenner PowerTwist link belts for both drives in my Super 7 for some years now. Sweet running and quiet. Use the 3L size (53 links) for the primary motor drive and 4L (42 links) to the spindle. You can get 'em on Amazon.

This went very easy once you figure the links. 43 worked fine, but it will be easy to change to 42 links. Makes for a very quit smooth drive. It saves a lot of time and adjustments. The old belt was very dead!42 to 43 links Main drive belts (1).JPG 42 to 43 links Main drive belts (1).JPG

I also started off with 43 links, but tightened up to 42 when some slippage developed after use. Nice Christmassy colors, no?

Sorry to be so late to this topic. I can only reinforce what people are saying - link-belts are the way to go. Ordinary V-belts suffer terribly INTERNALLY from being left in one position for periods of time between machining operations. Simply put, they develop kinks. Before I switched both belts to link belts, my metric Myford Super 7 would vibrate uncontrollably in the higher speed range (using the larger motor pulley). Link belts totally eliminated this impossible situation. I have now replaced all the V-belts in my workshop machines with link belts with positive results (except to my immediate bank balance). With time, I anticipate that this will eventually encompass my bank balance, too.

Has anyone tried to use link belts on a ML7 tri-leva?
On the tri-leva the tensioner runs on the outside of the belt so I'm not sure if that would work on a link belt.
Also I have seen recommendations to use three matched belts on a tri-leva so they are exactly the same length. I would think three link belts would have a greater variation in length than three traditional belts.

Is there a right and wrong way to run the belt, tabs pointing forward or backward? In these pics I would describe them as pointing backwards. Thanks.

The instructions supplied with my genuine (Beeston) Myford belt no. 70089 state:

1. Turn belt with tabs to the inside before installing
2. Determine direction of rotation
3. Align belt directional arrow (<--) with drive rotation

Early on in the installation instructions, it says "every tenth link is designated with an arrow (<--)" but I couldn't see anything.

Help!

I use the Accu-Link brand link belts from Harbor Freight and always point the large end of the Tab holes toward the rotation of pulley.
But I don't think it would make much difference since it will run the other way when in reverse.
The Accu-link belts at HB are only $30 for a 5' piece. Cheapest price I've found so far.

Back