Myford green paint

Subw00er

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know what type and paint code I can use to match Myford green in the states?

It looks like you could order it online from the UK. Otherwise, maybe this bump will give your thread another chance to be seen.

I'd take the gear cover off and look for a close match at the hardware store, acrylic enamel spray paint should hold up fine if you do good prep.

If you're trying to restore it for some kind of lathe concourse that might not be good enough, but if you just want to freshen it up not many people are judgemental about having the "correct" color on a machine tool. It's functionality that usually matters most.

Pictures are good too ;)

Cheers,

John
(former British car restorer)

ok ill give that a shot Matt. Myford wont ship paint to the US. I am restoring this 'ol girl. Well not that old, early 80's. It turns out she's amazingly solid underneath. All of the ways and headstock bearing show scraping with no wear! Amazing. I've got her back to almost new looking state, minus some pitting here and there and paint chips. I just went ahead and ground the paint off the cover next to the gear box... most of it flaked right off so I had to do something. It actually doesn't look bad as bare metal. I do have an motor shield to paint though.

Attachments

• CL ad (1).jpg
    CL ad (1).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
  • CL ad (3).jpg
    CL ad (3).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 18
  • CL ad (4).jpg
    CL ad (4).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Paint is kinda like oil, better to have some than none at all....

Lets see your projects next....

Here are some current pics. She shined up pretty nice. Check out the main bearing crosshatching still present and runout! I dont think this unit was ever really used. I made a little custom controller for it too (connected to a Baldor 1hp and L.510 Teco VFD). So cute with its mini levers (direction and jogging). :) I am in the process of adding a RPM gauge to the little controller box but the one I received was defective.

IMG_2820.jpgIMG_2843.jpgIMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg
IMG_2858.jpg
View attachment runout.MOV

I haven't made a lot of chips yet, but it does make a really nice cut so far. Very smooth when the speed and feed is correct, which in my case, is of near infinite permutations! I make a lot of rings and parts for my motorcycle, and a little bit for work. I'll share some stuff later on.

One thing I noticed was really cool is that you can activate the power feed and power cross slide at the same time and make a perfect 45deg chamfer cut, either positive or negative. How cool would it be to have a lever dynamically controlling the rate and direction of the power cross slide? That invention may be in my future to create some more organic shapes.

The other thing that surprised me was the amount of oil this thing poops out. Its a messy girl! :) I'm going to have to mitigate some of that. The more astute of you will notice my little shop has carpets... and, oh, I machine barefoot. Don't judge. I'm the safety officer at my work so I totally know what TO DO, and when home, I prefer to take as much risk as possible. I kinda feel like it settles the score, yunno. Why, just tonight I dropped a folding chair on my bare foot, and I'm pretty sure its either really sprained or, well, partially broken.

Last edited:
Nice lathe. The invention of which you speak is called CNC;)

No, no I dont want all the computer wizbangery, I just want a proportional lever to control the cross slide. I'm not sure what motor controller would work for that, maybe something from Pololu, or if levers like this exist (maybe a pot makes more sense), but a gear reduce motor would be fairly easy to stick on the back side of the cross slide, right?

Depending on the type of work you envision gravers might be what you're looking for.

John

Hmm, tempting, but a bit to scary to hand hold a tool which is turning metal. I think that might be in the unacceptable level of risk category for me.

With that said, I have hand held razor blades to shape brass corners before and well, it works awesome. :) I'm not doing that anymore though, too scary. I just picked up an old grinder with the lathe, so I can make my own corners. After I refurb it too.

Back