My Workman (G0602), my way

Hey Fitterman 1,I have the same lathe and the same problems it's really good to have you here at HM and your knowledge of this
lathe this is going to solve a lot of headaches that I have about this machine, I really like it but the little problems it has drives me
insane ,thanks a lot Rick

Hello Rick, don't worry too much about the little problems, you don't need the stress. Enjoy your machinetool and when something about it bothers you, sing out and I'll help you as much as I can. I'm sure others will pipe up with their experiences and ideas. There's a lot of info on this lathe floating around on the net and what various other owners have done to overcome its shortcomings.
If you find a fault then write it down on a paper and list it in an order of priority to repair/modify so you know what you've accomplished. When you've finished the work (and remember it will take some time to complete) you'll be proud of the fact its your machine done your way.
Have a look at the work this guy does, this is inspirational. And it just happens when you are confident with your machines.
http://www.clickspringprojects.com/
regards Alby

Last edited:
Hey Alby,I've been making small fixes a little at a time but you gave me better ideas and more practical way of fixing things I appreciate that,thanks Rick

WOW I admire your skill and thoroughness! I love your base as well - Brilliant tailstock adjustment!

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

The missing pictures is an issue with photobucket. Nothing we can do at H-M. If you have the original pictures, re-attach by adding a new post to the thread.

Ken

The missing pictures is an issue with photobucket. Nothing we can do at H-M. If you have the original pictures, re-attach by adding a new post to the thread.

Ken
Thanks Ken for replying.
The missing pictures belong to the post text thats there. The lower pictures that are visible belong in my post. In other words what
I'm trying to convey is that the text that is there and the pictures that are missing, don't belong in my post. My text has disappeared.
cheers Alby

The big problem that I've had with the ball oilers, is the ball with its spring falling out of their holder INTO the oiler hole, leaving an unplugged open hole
and the ball and spring lying loosely in the oiler hole.
Or the ball and spring grinding around inside the tailstock. I was impressed how much I had to disassemble to change that oiler out. I looked for a better solution, and ended up ordering a bunch of replacements from Grizzly, because a poor solution is better than an open hole in a dusty shop.

Hi dewbane, in regards to oilers, I remove them and fit 1/16th bsp plugs.
See this post further up and look for the compound slide.
Cheers alby

Back