My Th48 On A New To It Bench

TH484BBB

Registered
Registered
This is my TH48 on a new to it bench. I may have to cut down the height. The center of the spindle is 52" ish from the floor. I will either cut the bench legs shorter or make a riser to stand on.
The yellow splatter of paint is what I accidentally did back in 1966? I may remove it or leave it on for posterity.
I made the indicator mount about 25 years ago and now I use it to face off about .002+ off my pasma cutting nozzles as part of the reconditioning to get even more cuts out of them. That is the cool carriage stop I just received from wa5cab in the other picture. Works really good and now I don't have to make one. That tool holder is a KDK brand made in Southgate CA. I don't know if they even make them any more. Back in the late seventies and early eighties it was the hot set up in California anyway. I have a larger one I will try out later. For now and maybe for good it is parked in my Rihno Shelter next to my garage. Besides using it for facing nozzles I haven't used it for anything else in the last 15 years so I'll be getting used to it. I turned a 1/2" #304 stainless shaft for an inch or so and noticed it kept cutting a little bit pass after pass without moving the cross feed. I want to get that larger tool post in place and see how it does. The little one is sitting on spacers that were quickly put in place years ago. I need to machine a Tee nut and proper spacer for the larger tool post to clear the body of the compound.
So that's what I have so far. BTW the anvil is a Hey - Budden 1908

Have fun,

Bill

LATHE 2-16 004.jpg LATHE 2-16 006.jpg

"...cutting a little bit pass after pass without moving the cross feed."
Presuming your work piece is short and you are cutting close to the chuck, or it is well supported with a steady rest and/or follower, this is probably due to a phenomena known as "spring back".

As the workpiece turns against the resistance of the cutting tool the workpiece tends to rise and bend back ever so slightly while the tool, tool post, compound and carriage tend to press downwards and out away from the centerline and the lathe bed tends to twist. Some of these motions are negligible to be sure on light cuts, but when the workpiece is small like a 1/2" diameter rod is it mostly the workpiece that is bending away from the tool.

Some lathe operators will lighten up the DOC when approaching the target diameter and then just make several "spring back" cuts without advancing the tool any further so as to prevent over-shooting the target final diameter of the work piece.

Spiral_Chips
PS: That is one beautiful anvil! I don't have one and suffer from "Anvil Envy".
SC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back