My Son Just Acquired A Philip Smith Lathe

epanzella

Active User
Registered
My son just acquired a Philip Smith lathe that's been in the back of a garage for years. It has sleeve bearing with oil cups. Everything on the lathe has lots of resistance to movement but is not seized. What should we do about the headstock bearings. Oil and work them slowly or does everything have be be disassembled? Also the controls are different than my lathe so I'm not sure what does what. I have identified the back gear lever but I don't see any bull gear lock pin. I'm attaching pics of the lathe and the controls. In the controls picture, the upper round knob pulls out to move and then drops back to lock into one of three positions. The lower round knob by the transmission rotates and an indicator below it slide right and left in a slot when the knob is turned.
In the back is the back gear lever and right under the top mounted motor is another lever that I've been unable to move but I didn't push it too hard. Any knowledge or educated guesses as to the controls would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed P

IMG_1479 (2).JPG IMG_1481 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Looks like the counter shaft cones above do not match.

Should be mirror of bottom or bad angle.

Original likely roof rafter level and this was later mod so first future mod would be to reconfigure the drive to get it further back as it is a grabber/knocker there.

We would carefully clean off all surface stuff to then inspect.

Clean and oil ways so things can be moved.

Then oil all bearing "sets" meaning the bearings that support a single shaft and get that one free and moving well.

Where a cap can be pulled just loosen the screws so caps are not binding but leave in place as shims could be there that could get damaged or lost.

Repeat until All shafts are free next do same for controls and gears.

Do not apply power until all cleaned and lubed as well as looking at all gears etc.

If all is not broken and wear not bad consider using it as is while looking for the next one...

Bought and sold maybe 6 or more as upgrades to get to current heard.

It looks like it could be a decent machine once it is cleaned up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Now that's a nice father and son project. Looks like your son did well. Tq60 has a lot of great advice on cleaning it all up. I would think the lever is for being able to change the belt for different speeds?
Cheers
MartinW

That looks like a very stout lathe. Nice find!
There's likely a diamond in that "rough".

My approach would be:

1) remove all the accessible crud (wire brushes, spatulas, etc.) and get some fresh oil on

2) I find my old standby penetrating oil of 50% ATF(automatic transmission fluid) and 50% acetone works well. The solvent makes the oil so thin it runs in every where, but also the solvent can help soften/loosen any "petrified" grease. The acetone evaporates fairly quickly, leaving the oil behind (requires good ventilation and no open flame!). Once things move by hand follow up with generous amounts of your normal lathe lube. (I use ISO-32 anti-wear hydraulic oil that's sold in big buckets as the tractor supply place for everything on my lathe and mill)

3) loosen up as above and then maybe remove that v-belt and turn the input shaft by hand to kinda "explore" all the controls. It gives a nice controlled way to "play" with all the levers and still stop before any real damage can be done.

Be very careful when you get as far as powering it up. Those open belts are an unforgiving hazard, and as @tq60 mentions above that top-front shaft is in an awkward spot. Play safe!

-brino

EDIT: no documents, but a little history and a couple lathe pictures at Vintage Machinery:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=5206&tab=6

Last edited:
.....a couple links:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/philip-smith-lathe.52111/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...history/o-k-whats-phillip-smith-lathe-169962/

hey wait....that first link is another thread of yours! but it's not the same lathe....oh you mention it was a picture of a different individual...I am glad this one is on it's way to a home with your son.

-brino
Ha, that was one of mine. The owner's son was giving the lathe away after he passed so I posted it here. When there was no takers my son decided to take it. He usually comes over and uses my lathe but this old girl looked too good to scrap.

Back