My saw quit

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My 1948 Doall ML 16 quit without giving 2 weeks notice. I posted in my Doall thread also.

I have a new issue with my saw, it quit. I just finished a cut, and the motor stopped. There was no obvious smoke, but a faint hint that the Genie may have left the building. I have 206v from the RPC, I can hear the contacts clicking in the start/stop box, and pressing the reset button does nothing. I do not know enough to check any farther, and will get the electrician to get into the motor wiring. Doall lists a replacement at 1K less shipping, any other options? For this saw is there an advantage to staying with 3ph over single if I need to replace?

It doesn't sound like a catastrophic failure to me. Check all the wiring connections for security to start with. Also, the
relay would be highly suspected in this case.

Will do....

I would not buy a new motor. If you need a new motor look for surplus.
Many 3ph motors are reclaimed when scrapping equip.

Is there a start capacitor? It may have failed. Find a motor rebuild shop. They will be able to tell you what's wrong with the motor.

I have a 16" DoAll vertical saw and the motor does not seem to be proprietary, it looks like a standard motor and base. Worst case scenario, as mentioned, a replacement surplus 3 phase motor. It will certainly be far less than a grand to replace. Good luck! Are you sure the motor starter is not the issue?

All still to be determined, all I know is there is power to, and out of the RPC:)

The electrician came by today, the reset button popped open, and will not re latch. He's researching what kind of fuse to put inline, and bypass the reset...

Back