My Rotary Table Is Too Big! Is It Possible?

Str8jacket

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has this ever been said? Or is it like workshops, no such words have ever been uttered!
Looking at buying and have my eye on a good condition 400mm horizontal table and wondering if it is too big for most work or does it not matter? Opinions, thoughts or just speculation appreciated.

Thanks

A 16 inch rotary table is going to weigh over 250 pounds. How big is your milling machine?

Its pretty big. Not sure what to compare it too. Pacific Fu1600. Got over excited when i purchased 2015-11-12 14.27.42.jpg

2015-11-12 14.27.42.jpg

Hi Ed, is the 12in too big for your machine or does it make it awkward to work around the size?

Ben, you have any documentation like a mannual for your mill? It looks a lot like my Zayer in many features. I have been unable to find much info on the net on mine, even trying the factory.

No nothing. I did have a bloke who promised to get me some but never came through. I think i will harass him again.
I think mine is either a rebadged or a knock off lagun

Its pretty big. Not sure what to compare it too. Pacific Fu1600. Got over excited when i purchased
Looks like we both did the same thing.

I excitedly purchased a Kearney Trekker 210CH (like a 3C, i think) which looks just like an older big-brother of yours. With it, I got a 23 inch(!) KT rotary table. The rotary is wider than the mill table, but the interface is the same.

According to KT literature, the rotary table weighs 750lb. I believe it. Now while that sounds like a lot, according to the same literature, the machine weighs so-close-as-not-to-matter 10,000 lbs. So it all works.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think you can have a table too big. If the spindle can reach the center point without interference, then it's a good fit. There's no need for the crossfeed to reach beyond the center, at least not geometrically, so once again, bigger is better -- whether it is or not <LOL>

Pro Tip: Without reservation, I'd say the most important aspect is being able to remove and replace the table at-will with minimal effort. I've used a forklift, but am now installing a hoist and chain hardware. Having a big rotary table is very desirable and too cool, but being able to NOT have the table is sometimes better.

Wrat

You can't have too big of a rotary table, just too small of a machine to use it on. My buddy *GAVE* me a 10" rotary table. It's just a bit too big for my little Atlas MFC mill with it's 4x18 table...

I picked up the Bridgeport 12" at a garage sale for $100 BUt it was used with a motor drive, so it has calibrated Turning handle I made a handle but no dial yet. Also this was when I had BurkeMillrite mill 7x27 table. I just sold it and got a Bridgeport 9x36 table so may be more suitable. but for me a 10" would be ideal. I would trade for a smaller one.

Back