My Rockwell 14 X 40 Lathe

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I recently purchased a Rockwell 14" lathe, which is in very nice decent shape. I don't know how Buba missed this lathe, but I'm glad he did! The lathe is equipped with a taper attachment that does not look as if it has ever been used.
But there is one issue that bothers me, the gear on the headstock spindle that shifts it from back gear to direct drive has been removed. Appears they replace it with a spacer, making the back gear totally useless. I have the gear sitting on my desk. It was down in the storage cabinet with all of the other junk that was thrown in there. I haven't had a chance to open the headstock to see what all is going on at the moment, but once I get it inside, will do so.
The question I have to others out there that have a 14" lathe, is there a chance of getting the OD dimension of the nut that goes on the end of the spindle, as well as the length of the nut? Mine is missing off of the spindle, and I will need to make another one to replace the missing one.

Ken

I don't have any info on your lathe. But We need pictures. With out pictures it never happened. And we need to get the { This Thread Is Worthless With Out Pictures } smiley back.

If I had the nut available I would not need to post a thread here.

No, I'm not posting any pictures! Anyone who own's a 14" Rockwell lathe already knows what I'm asking for. If not, they can send a PM to me and I'll be glad to post a copy of the parts manual showing the take up nut I'm asking about.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Just when a member post they got a new to them tool, some of us like to see pictures The phrases that I post are meant to be fun humor and not to offend anyone.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Just when a member post they got a new to them tool, some of us like to see pictures The phrases that I post are meant to be fun humor and not to offend anyone.
+1 -- I have to agree with KD,

It is normal around H-M to post picts. It helps to keep the flow and sharing of information going, and that makes this a great place to hang.
As for the comment "Anyone who own's a 14" Rockwell lathe already knows what I'm asking for..."
I'll have to point out that if a new user who happened to score a Rockwell were to join here in the future and need the same info,
and see this post, he/she would walk away shaking their head at that type of attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
One cannot photograph that which one does not have. Drawings of small parts from illustrated parts lists may or may not help.

Last edited:
Besides which, it should be obvious to anyone that if someone needs a part that they don't have, they probably have no way in which to produce a photograph of the missing part. I have no idea what the missing nut looks like, but a photograph of the left end of the spindle showing the I assume bare threads wouldn't do a thing to change that.
No, but a picture would help someone unfamiliar with a 'Rockwell 14 X 40 Lathe' to identify what a person would need to look for.
I would hazard a guess that there a numerous styles of those around.
I know a scrapper/collector in this area and he's got a couple of tired old Rockwell's sitting in one of his out-buildings.
I've tried to talk him into parting out his stuff but he doesn't want to go near a computer, or even list them in the want ads, and
I should never have mentioned CL, I think he saw that one movie and has a rather negative view of CL.
I thought to myself when I read Ken's post that I might run over there next week and see what might be left on them and available.

Don't assume that what you may consider obvious is obvious to others.

I have to agree with Dan and KD, even a pic of where it *should* go could spark someone's memory, or they may have one of its clones under another name and be able to help. I've seen quite a few different lathes in my time and might even have worked on one without remembering what it was called - I find the mechanics a lot easier than the names, mechanics follows rules...

Guys, in due time, I promise to post some pictures.
Right now, it's on a trailer, waiting to be unloaded as soon as the 20" Lodge & Shipley is removed by it's new owner and gone.
Yes, I have done all of the up front stuff like finding parts manuals and anything else that exists out there. Including spare parts. The Rockwell group on Yahoo has lots of good information available. That is where I found most of the stuff as well as on the Vintage Machinery's website, too.
And kd4gij, my apology for the comment left, sorry.

Back