"My Precious" arrived yesterday!

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
After several years of only having a 10" 4 jaw, and a Jacobs spindle nose collett chuck, I finally got the one thing that really wanted for my Clausing 3329.
A 6" 3 jaw w/ an L00 backplate.
Im hoping for some decent accuracy from this import. CME is the only place I could ever find L00 backplates for under $100. I have one of their backplates on my collett chuck and the nut pops it off like it's supposed to.
The good thing that came out of not having this is that I became really good at indicating all kinds of things into a 4 jaw.

20200130_214059.jpg

love to hear about runout once it's all mounted up. I wouldn't mind seeing the collet chuck either

My experience turning a cast iron back plate was that cast makes one mell of a hess. I expected it and did nothing about it. Then did a serious cleaning and oiling after. It's a good thing to know going in though.

The good thing that came out of not having this is that I became really good at indicating all kinds of things into a 4 jaw.
I have been down that road, and it is a great experience to have. A wonderful exercise in patience, diligence AND precision.
I finally found a 3 jaw that met my expectations. 15 year old Taiwanese, with no name. .001 runout max, generally less, across most all diameters it can hold.
The original 3 jaw that came with this 1236 Chinese rig was .008 at best, and some diameters were far worse. Winding it in and out felt BAD. I took it apart, cleaned the yak fat out, deburred the obvious, and felt little improvement.

I ran it for the jobs that I could, and they were not many. The 4 jaw dance is FUN, once you decide you have no other option.

The face of the backplate was out .0015 and the shoulder that fits into the back of the chuck was out by .0006. I used a piece of 1 1/4 chrome rod stock to adjust my zero with the bolts snug. Could only get it to about .0005, so switched to a piece of 5/8 drill rod and got it to zero runout. Tightened the bolts balls tight, then checked runout. Still zero, so I loosened the jaws and reoriented the drill rod. Runout stays within 2 or 3 tenths, so Im calling it good. $180 out the door! Thank you CME!
15805961957741842505183560929227.jpg

The face of the backplate was out .0015 and the shoulder that fits into the back of the chuck was out by .0006. I used a piece of 1 1/4 chrome rod stock to adjust my zero with the bolts snug. Could only get it to about .0005, so switched to a piece of 5/8 drill rod and got it to zero runout. Tightened the bolts balls tight, then checked runout. Still zero, so I loosened the jaws and reoriented the drill rod. Runout stays within 2 or 3 tenths, so Im calling it good. $180 out the door! Thank you CME!
View attachment 312271
Sounds good for a 3 jaw to me. Hopefully it stays true. I just got an intergral d1-4 three jaw from cdco that runs under .001, so I'm hoping the same for my Chinese wonder chuck. Say it looks pretty nice on there. I bet you're smiling when you see that.

Sounds good for a 3 jaw to me. Hopefully it stays true. I just got an intergral d1-4 three jaw from cdco that runs under .001, so I'm hoping the same for my Chinese wonder chuck. Say it looks pretty nice on there. I bet you're smiling when you see that.
I don't know if the 1 1/4 rod was not round (I didn't mic it) or if the scroll was not as accurate in that position, but the 5/8 drill rod did the trick. Now, I just hope things stay this way!

Back