Re: My First Mill - PM45M-PDF

Good afternoon - I am planning on buying the PM-45 mill in the near future. The stand you made for the base looks great by chance could you post the plans for it.

Thanks,
Woodrow

Now would be a good time to buy one. Matt has a shipment of them coming in next month.

Good afternoon - I am planning on buying the PM-45 mill in the near future. The stand you made for the base looks great by chance could you post the plans for it.

Thanks,
Woodrow

Here you go. My stand is about 16" x 28" so I made the riser 1/4" wider on all sides.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I used 4 x 2 x 3/16 wall tubing.

riser_mill.jpg

Attachments

• riser_mill.jpg
    riser_mill.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 244

What is the size of that larger GMT mill vise you have there? I'm trying to get an idea of scale. Thanks

Gary

I'm not a big fan of the gib locks that came on the mill. They feel really cheap cause they are. Couldn't find any suitable off the shelf replacements, everything has handles that are too long & I did not want the risk of breaking the handles if the hit the front of the base when moving the Y axis. Thought about ordering replacements from a Grizzly machine but they don't stock them, they're kind of pricey, & not sure what size they are anyway.

I picked some up that are the perfect size but aren't available in the size stud I need. So I also picked up some dog point set screws & went to work.

My stock levers.
IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

Rethreaded the set screws to fit the new handles.
IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

Aren't they purdy? They're powder coated, adjustable, & they're the perfect length so there's no risk in hitting the base when the table is moved around.
Img_6943.jpg

Img_6949.jpg

Img_6955.jpg

Img_6962.jpg

I'm very happy with them. I also inserted ball bearings into the holes before putting them on to prevent only one side of the dog point from contacting the gibs. If you shine a light down the holes you will see what I mean. Lock up feels so much better now.

If anyone is interested, these are the parts that I used:

Mcmaster:
6848K12 - 6 Each -Metric Die Cast Zinc Adjustable Handle, M6 X 1 Threaded Hole, 9mm Thread Depth
92905A327 - 1 Pack - Alloy Steel Extended Point Set Screw, M8 Size, 50mm Long, 1.25mm Pitch

Shortened the set screws 6mm, threaded M6 x 1 thread 8.5mm long. I used 1/4" bearing quality hardened balls (be sure to measure first, it will be a lot of work to get them out if they get stuck & I don't want to be the blame if it were to happen to someone, use 7/32" if you want to be safe). Since I used the balls to contact the gibs, dog point set screws weren't necessary, the idea came to me when I went to install the new handles.

Attachments

• IMG_6904.jpg
    IMG_6904.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Img_6943.jpg
    Img_6943.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_6920.jpg
    IMG_6920.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Img_6949.jpg
    Img_6949.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Img_6955.jpg
    Img_6955.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Img_6962.jpg
    Img_6962.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 230
These are the readings I got for my spindle speeds using a Monarch Pocket-Tach 100, last NIST calibration 4-2000. YMMV

PM45M_spindle.jpg

I picked some up that are the perfect size but aren't available in the size stud I need. So I also picked up some dog point set screws & went to work.

I'm very happy with them. I also inserted ball bearings into the holes before putting them on to prevent only one side of the dog point from contacting the gibs. If you shine a light down the holes you will see what I mean. Lock up feels so much better now.

If anyone is interested, these are the parts that I used:

Mcmaster:
6848K126 EachMetric Die Cast Zinc Adjustable Handle, M6 X 1 Threaded Hole, 9mm Thread Depth
92905A3271 PackAlloy Steel Extended Point Set Screw, M8 Size, 50mm Long, 1.25mm Pitch

Shortened the set screws 6mm, threaded M6 x 1 thread 8.5mm long. I used 1/4" bearing quality hardened balls (be sure to measure first, it will be a lot of work to get them out if they get stuck & I don't want to be the blame if it were to happen to someone, use 7/32" if you want to be safe). Since I used the balls to contact the gibs, dog point set screws weren't necessary, the idea came to me when I went to install the new handles.

Those are pretty cool. Matt should have in the next batch of PM45's next week so I should have mind pretty soon. My current mill has those same crappy handles. I will keep this in mind!

Gary

Those are pretty cool. Matt should have in the next batch of PM45's next week so I should have mind pretty soon. My current mill has those same crappy handles. I will keep this in mind!

Gary

Awesome, can't wait to see pics of it. I'm very curious!

The handles have been working great & were definitely worth it. One thing I forgot to mention is those set screws from Mcmaster must be hardened. I was not able to fully thread them using the TS die holder. Sucks cause I spent a good part of the morning that day making a new holder for it. The dies I were using weren't all that great (one China & one Craftsman USA) but I never had an issue using them in the past. That is the reason why I had to thread them on the lathe which I should have done to start with, it was so much quicker. Well at least I learned a lesson.

Img_6879_zpsf2ab5343.jpg

Img_6889_zps8dea8c9e.jpg

Img_7142_zps7d691455.jpg

Attachments

• Img_6879_zpsf2ab5343.jpg
    Img_6879_zpsf2ab5343.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Img_6889_zps8dea8c9e.jpg
    Img_6889_zps8dea8c9e.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Img_7142_zps7d691455.jpg
    Img_7142_zps7d691455.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 221
Not sure if this has been mentioned before.....

I currently have a Easson ES-8A DRO display on my mill. One cool feature that it has is an axial speed display function that can be enabled for each axis like found on most the higher end DROs & CNC machines. My lathe DRO does not have this feature (not an Easson) but not sure if it would be as useful as on the mill.

The X axis power feed allows you to get consistent finishes. With the speed display on the DRO you can get even greater consistent finishes on multiple parts. Even if you do not have a power feed the speed display would also help you turn the handles at a more consist rate as well as giving you an idea of your manual feed rate.

Since it's a digital display, it has a .25 sec delay to enable easier viewing on the eyes. Unfortunately it only displays in mm/min but it's better than nothing.

Img_6279_zpsa857d453.jpg

Img_6282_zps0fe78129.jpg

Attachments

• Img_6282_zps0fe78129.jpg
    Img_6282_zps0fe78129.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Img_6279_zpsa857d453.jpg
    Img_6279_zpsa857d453.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 239

I'm not a big fan of the gib locks that came on the mill. They feel really cheap cause they are. Couldn't find any suitable off the shelf replacements, everything has handles that are too long & I did not want the risk of breaking the handles if the hit the front of the base when moving the Y axis. Thought about ordering replacements from a Grizzly machine but they don't stock them, they're kind of pricey, & not sure what size they are anyway.

Aren't they purdy? They're powder coated, adjustable, & they're the perfect length so there's no risk in hitting the base when the table is moved around.
Img_6943.jpg

I was thinking of going with something different. Just a simple knob. McMaster 6390K23 and a set screw.

6390kp2l.png

At least for the column and y-axis. At less than half the price also.
They are over 1.5" in diameter so I will be able to get plenty of torque on them. I'll probably get them for the x-axis also but I'll have to see the machine first.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I ordered my PM45 with a cast iron base. That should weigh it down some.

Gary

Attachments

• Img_6943.jpg
    Img_6943.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 221
Back