My own Makerspace err mikiespace

bloomingtonmike

Active User
Registered
We have no population to support a Makerspace/Techshop here. Ones that do exist are small 3d printer and arts and craft centers with wannabe thinktank conference rooms. I want almost the full meal deal. I want a place where people can come learn about metalworking and woodworking and cnc and robotics and electronics and welding and other trades and put their hands on equipment. I want one where the goal is not to pay the rent each month. I figure I will start small and if it fails I will just have a 2nd large shop. Two months ago I signed a couple contracts and redid the power to my property. Thursday the builder started. Here is the end of day 2.

endday2_zps8540a07d.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa ! What a great plan. . . . . as they say, "Good On Ya"

Today we got vented overhangs, a roof and bubble wrap under it, the porch started, windows framed, and pedestrian doors framed. I got a free (freeebie in that cool voice) window upgrade because they forgot them on the semi last Thursday and Menards only had 4 windows in the 36X60 low E argon insulated. Also the porch trusses were for a 12X24 porch so we are getting a 12' porch ceiling depth as a freebie too. Will add to concrete now though. Also raising the porch a bit to account for space needed for the larger windows.

Here was 5:30pm on day 3 - The crew worked till 7pm again tonight.

I also just came in. Johnny and I got the gas line and two cat6 lines to existing shop in conduit and 90% buried.

endday3_zps3d66eff4.jpg

Can you tell us anything about the business plan for your venture? I'm not looking for anything formal, just curious about how you see a way to at least cover your costs.

Walt

Right now I have no business plan. I have friends that come over to learn and I have tools that only I own that we use to learn on. All I have done is built myself a 2nd shop at this point. Its easy when you just pay for everything yourself - you only have to make yourself happy. There may be an LLC later that has leased equipment from me with disclaimers and waivers of any liability if someone gets hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Noon day 4

12noonday4_zps0cb0db3b.jpg

Right now I have no business plan. I have friends that come over to learn and I have tools that only I own that we use to learn on. All I have done is built myself a 2nd shop at this point. Its easy when you just pay for everything yourself - you only have to make yourself happy. There may be an LLC later that has leased equipment from me with disclaimers and waivers of any liability if someone gets hurt.

You still need a business plan. You need to work out how much money is involved, where it is going to come from, and where it is going to go. It isn't always about profits. It's about rational management of resources.

Back