My other addiction ..VW's

slowtwitch

Registered
Registered
Well I checked my post count and it was only 2. So i figured i better do something to contribute to this forum. I have a couple addictions, CNC machines, the electronics that go in them and the one that got the whole thing started.... old VW's. The chain reaction started many years ago when I owned a couple VW bugs. I restored a 66 bug back in 1983, then it was stolen. I dropped out of the VW scene for many years after that car was stolen.

Then about 4 years ago the "bug" bit me again. This time it was bad. I bought a beat up 57 VW oval. It was not original, as it was sitting on a later pan. I decided to make it the ultimate non original VW. I decided on a type 4 engine. These were common in later VW buses and Porsche 914's. I converted it to an upright configuration to fit into the bug. I rebuilt the engine with all the goodies...JE pistons, Schubeck ceramic lifters, fuel injected, megasquirt and coil over plug ignition, you name it it's in there. The biggest issue I had was the throttle linkage system....it just sucked.

So I decided to come up with a better system. I came up with a twin pulley, cable driven setup that I call SyncLink.... that I sell in the VW world. As I mentioned in my introductory post, i made the prototypes on an old column mill, but it was very time consuming . When I couldn't find a machine shop to make the parts, I decided to learn the CNC stuff and make the parts myself....and I'm glad I did :))

Anyway, here's the engine with an early prototype of the linkage....

CIMG4639.jpg

and here is the car when I bought it.....

IMG_4708.jpg

It's completely apart right now. i welded in a new front end, pans and a ton of other things. I just have to do a couple things and it should be ready for paint ....

Here it is waiting for me.

DSCN3574.jpg

That's it for now. I have finally made up some inventory of the SyncLink components and I have the machines running nicely, so i hope to spend some more time on the "bug" that got me into the CNC stuff and hopefully, have a running car by spring :))

pete

CIMG4639.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

DSCN3574.jpg

Way cool, my first car was a yellow bug, I wish that I still had it! Looking forward to more of your progress sir!

Pete, that is an awesome looking engine; what kind of HP do you expect out of it. I really like the shroud on your engine, who makes that? I have a little German car too, a '62 356 super 90 that I plan on pulling out of mothballs sometime in the future.
Bob

Pete, that is an awesome looking engine; what kind of HP do you expect out of it. I really like the shroud on your engine, who makes that? I have a little German car too, a '62 356 super 90 that I plan on pulling out of mothballs sometime in the future.
Bob

Oh Boy...a 356 !!!!! My ultimate dream car. As for my engine, the shroud is an original DTM, by Joe Locicero of Oregon Performance Products. The engine is probably good for about 140 hp.

pete

Awesome Pete
I had a 1961 Myers Manx 1641 with a mega squirt fuel injection set up
Very nice set up for a stand alone computer

Mine was no were near your level but it was fun to play with
Good luck with the body work there not to hard just time consuming
If the engine is any indication of your skills I'm sure it will be outstanding

VW's seem to multiply. I started with one, and now they're everywhere.

That fan shroud is sweet. Oh yea, the car too. Can't beat an oval (except maybe with a split:thinking:).

they totally are... I've been a watercooled guy myself.
so far the list has included:

7 mk1 rabbits
2 mk1 jettas
2 mk2 jettas
1 mk2 golf
1 mk4 jetta
and now an audi a4 avant.
360.JPG
024-1.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Along the way i have done everything from a simple resto to full engine swaps and turbo conversions.
its only a matter of time before i get another one :)

DSC_0131.jpg 024-1.jpg 360.JPG

7 mk1 rabbits
2 mk1 jettas
2 mk2 jettas
1 mk2 golf
1 mk4 jetta
and now an audi a4 avant.

That's quite a collection there. Nice pictures too.

I just sold 2 bugs and my new current tally is;
3 bugs
2 busses
fastback
ghia

You're not really sick though until you have to stack them! :nuts:

stack.jpg

stack.jpg

that "storage unit" you have there is pretty awesome!
I'd prob have a few more but i moved and lost all my storage. This summer i'd like to find a type 3 squareback for a new project .

oh, and i think i should point out that i'm only 25. My love of vw's started at a young age and i have always had a few at once :)

Wow! very nice to have the room to stack your toys. We live in a townhouse with a one car garage/workshop for now as we plan our new home build. We have my '66 Bug in the garage, My son's '67 Plymouth Barracuda Notchback in the drive way and a 1949 Ford F-1 Panel Wheelchair Accessible Hot Rod project in storage. I bet if I had the room I would definitely have more cars/projects.

My wife jokingly calls my son and I "car whores".

Here are some pics of my VW in the garage.

IMG_3646.jpg IMG_3578.jpg IMG_3618.jpg

Back