My next new topic

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Machinist straight edge, there is flat, 3 sided, square, lots of lengths, and price ranges. What is a good utility straight edge? I assume they are good to have. Thank you,,,again.

Good question Mr Korves. I have used my different length levels to check flatness of different thing, I do not have a specific use in mind at this time.

Well, there are lots of different straightedges out there, as you said, all designed for specific tasks. A wooden or metal foot rule and yard stick is a good place to start, for measuring stuff around the house. They will test for straight as well, within their limitations. For the shop, a quality combination square with the rule that comes with it is a good place to start. It is heavily multipurpose, and various attachments and longer and shorter rules extend the usefulness of the set. More specialized tools, like precision straightedges and ones for scraping in flat surfaces, are for tasks that most of us will not be working on. It is far easier to recommend a straightedge for a given task or next project than guess what you might be building in the future. When you have a measuring task coming up that you are not sure you know how to handle, ask the specific question you need an answer to. Sorry, don't know what else to tell you...

Alright, thank you.

Yeah I saw a bunch with anodizing, I guess the more expensive ones are stainless? Just guessing. Basically looking to eye ball a true/flat surface. Cylinder head surface, engine block, a spot on the welding table sort of thing. There are others just not in my head right now.

Last edited:
There are straightedges for fussy precision work, medium accuracy work like a cylinder head, and carpenter models. Using an expensive tool steel precision ground and lapped straightedge ($$$) for checking a welding table is, well, not the best use for it...:eek: A framing square is a bit weak for checking a cylinder head, too. :(

Yes sir, kind of why I'm looking for a useful type of a "good" utility machinist straight edge. The high end are above my ability, and I don't want to end up with a hockey stick either. Some things would take to long, and need fixtures to square up to check accurately, Looking more for "oh ****, I gotta send this out" kinda thing. Hope this makes sense.

What length are you looking for? Long ones get pretty expensive but shorter ones new are as well.

For under 12" look on ebay. There are lots of NOS USSR made straight edges. I have no idea why there are so many of these USSR made straight edges on ebay over the years but you can get them for decent prices if you are patient. They'll usually ship from overseas though like from Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, etc.

Occasionally Helios (German) pop up on ebay too.

I got these Mitutoyos not too long ago, a 4" & a 6". I personally have no real use for them though, I only picked them up cause I got them for $20 ea. I have used them a few times already but only cause I had them, not cause I needed to.

proxy-1.jpg

Back