My new-to-me BP

tbarker80

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share some pictures of my machine. I gathered a lot of great info here that helped me connect the machine to the vfd (FM50). I've not completed the enclosure for the vfd yet, but the machine is running great.

Got a hell of a deal on this thing (less than $1k). The only thing that I'm not too crazy about is the spindle. It's the kwik switch 200 variety. I've aquired a lot of R8 collets over the years, so I guess I'll be starting from scratch on the KS200.

Anyway, just wanted to share some pics and say thanks to everyone here!

IMG_1949.JPGIMG_1954.JPGIMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1977.JPG

Looks very nice, especially for under a grand. Is there a jealous icon... :)

Looks very nice, especially for under a grand. Is there a jealous icon... :)

Well there's this one: :greenwithenvy:

And...then this one might be appropro as well: :yousuck:

Great score at a great price! Congrats!

What taper does it actually use and could you machine a sleeve to continue using R8? Might be possible to do that and save a bit of cash rebuying new tooling holders and collets.. Make the male end fit the BP taper and the female end fit R8. Might lose a little distance between the bit and table, but that can be adjusted at the knee to overcome that issue easily. Just my .02, but I think it could be done pretty easily for cheaper than buying a bunch of new tool holders.

Bob

If those ways are in good shape, you just about stole that machine! Congrats! You might consider a new spindle with some of your savings. Might save you in the long run, might just keep you in stuff your used to. It might not be feasible financially, but worth a look see. -edit- Is the quick switch the whole spindle, or an attachment? is there an r8 taper on it and it just needs pulled out of there maybe?

If those ways are in good shape, you just about stole that machine! Congrats! You might consider a new spindle with some of your savings. Might save you in the long run, might just keep you in stuff your used to. It might not be feasible financially, but worth a look see. -edit- Is the quick switch the whole spindle, or an attachment? is there an r8 taper on it and it just needs pulled out of there maybe?
It's a kwik switch spindle. No draw bar. At the moment I've only got a 3/4" collet chuck for it. I'm getting a few collets this weekend. Not quite sure yet if I'm gonna change it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

What taper does it actually use and could you machine a sleeve to continue using R8? Might be possible to do that and save a bit of cash rebuying new tooling holders and collets.. Make the male end fit the BP taper and the female end fit R8. Might lose a little distance between the bit and table, but that can be adjusted at the knee to overcome that issue easily. Just my .02, but I think it could be done pretty easily for cheaper than buying a bunch of new tool holders.

Bob

Not sure what the taper is exactly... From what I've gathered here, the ks200 taper starts at 20mm. I know nothing about it past that. Gonna try to work through these things as I can. I've got a 1 yr old boy, so it's a balancing act.

well done, my friend well done! :greenwithenvy:
Martin

Back