My New To Me (and First) Bp

Sendit

Registered
Registered
After a year of looking I found one. While it may not be in the best condition as the other I looked at (visually) the owner was trust worthy and honest about everything. The machine was in a support role for the CNC's.

The only real issue I have, is that the quill gets tight around the 4" mark. I can lower it to 5 though. I took the quill out and notice chips in the bore of the quill casting and few small marks on the quill. Nothing I could fee but you can see it. I took the allen screw out to just make sure this wasn't causing any interference.

I'm at the point where do I want to tear it down and paint it, give her some youth back -or- just put it back together with the necessary parts.

The power feed works, still trying to figure out model I have. The power feed does not like to go slow at all and I'm sure there is hardly any oil in the unit.. I just fired it up to see how it works and etc. It looks like the electrical components (at least the board) were replaced.

First got her home
CC1FFA45-186B-407F-B647-07D90C4988B6_zpshbjex8mi.jpg

Removing the quill. I used the bed to help catch the quill in case it fell. I only lower the table .200 or less each time.
0E63AD12-D3C7-4FBB-ACD1-7744EC036B9E_zpsygztt5qz.jpg

There are two markings close to one another that are parallel. I'm curious if this is causing my stiffness when lowering the quill. After I cleaned the bore and the quill I sprayed some WD-40 and place the quill back in the quill I could tell that the over felt had improved but not still as smooth as others.

03FF6215-95E2-4BC6-9260-DC395FFEDD94_zpsduntyypz.jpg

The unknown model powerfeed
0344F61A-A5BA-451F-AC22-0C525F45D0D6_zpscoizcbzc.jpg

C261268B-32C9-48DA-92D5-5BA1D9DC5065_zpsqwyzcwjb.jpg

Thanks Minion. It's just the previous owner paint job didn't prep it to well thus a lot is flaking
off.

Marks on quill are from the quill lock rubbing, I used a spring to keep the lever up on mine.

Just a simple spring , may have to zoom in on it , antigravity
image.jpg
Zip tied to head bolt

Zip tied to the head bolt (adjustment bolt). The spring wrapped around the spindle lock lever?

Did you paint your machine? Looks great

The quill lock lever was made by PO out of aluminum, I drilled hole in it for spring
Mill is as I got it original paint.

Forget the WD 40, it's not a lubricant. Use oil.
I would take a look inside the quills column and see if there is anything in there scored or rust that might be a problem.
More likely there is a problem with the drive to lower and raise the (edit) quill column, maybe a spot on a gear not meshing well with the quill.

Last edited:
I'm slowly taking it apart to clean it and see if any bits need to be replace. Big thanks to JR for helping me out!

The power feed (6F I think) I started to take a part. It works but has a slow response time from being switch on to the actual motor moving.

BB9827C5-D184-4AE1-A428-4C2376BEB538_zpsofqbgcdn.jpg

0059B3D0-2E47-452F-817A-EE71361A2249_zps0ffrsajg.jpg

Gibs still have a lot of life left
8FF49181-B160-4AC0-AF18-5FC942F3FE86_zps1p8jtteh.jpg

Back