My new shop clock

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
This should be under the heading "Other than machining, what did you do in the shop today?" My son-in-law gave me a valve cover off of a Continental aircraft engine that was removed under some type of recall (if I remember correctly, I don't usually listed to him too closely, LOL). Usually, something like this ends up being an ash tray, just like in first grade, remember? Well, I pondered, hoping to come up with a creative use for it and did some polishing and lightly sprayed some black paint inside the Mfg's lettering. I mounted it on a wooden plaque, laid on a light coat of clear and installed a very cheap battery powered clock mechanism, and showed it to SWMBO who kindly shoveled out rave reviews. After a little while, she asked, "what's that motor part doing on my living room wall?" I shyly explained that it will go on the wall of my shop when I get the drywall hung and apply a coat of "Sherman Williams".

image.jpg

I like the re-use of your redundant cover, it looks really nice Sadly over this side of the pond their are guys who "steam punk" lovely old artefacts of a historical, and virtual irreplaceable nature, This is not only the occasional itinerant bodger but sadly in some cases the modern museum trendy designers with bright ideas and the almost standard uniform like shirt sleeves down below the sleeves of their jackets & no ties ! But a great propensity to talk a good shift and have no love or feelings for items of the engineers art produced by craftsmen of decades back

One guy I know takes lovely old pressure gauges like one would find on old steam boiler plant etc. and rips the heart out of them to replace with a cheap quartz movement the same goes for the nice old mechanical clocks which happen along his path, I guess in another twenty years hence when the trendy's get rather tired of the punk items in their houses a lot of nice sabotaged historical instruments etc. will end up in the scrap Bang goes yesterdays story!

Back