My new old Deckel FP1

Hi. I have a 70's fp1,and though it came with less tooling,I did get the universal table with it. And the dividing head and some collets. It's power feeds did not work when I got it. I got a manual from Tony Griffiths though. It was a simple fix. WAYYYYYY down in the bottom of the machine's hollow column(It's amazing how fully they use the space in there!) Just off the floor,there is a soft shear pin that I located by studying the drawings. I made a replacement from soft steel and all worked fine.

The Deckel fp1 is a very sought after machine,which,with available accessories,can do about any job when operated by a skilled technician.

I also have a 1970's FP-1 dial machine with the CAT 40 spindle, just have the standard table, but have the dividing head. I also have a 1984 FP2NC CNC. Love the Deckels!

I'm waiting for the one in my employer's machine shop with a big "out of order" sign on it to come up for grabs... I already have first refusal, all depends on price and tooling included, it has dial changes and the Semi-CNC DRO but only a plain table, would look good next to my Holbrook.
Of course, I may have bought something else by then :/

Dave H. (the other one)

Be careful,British. I don't know a lot about Deckels,though I have an fp1. But,I have read that some of those cnc types can be about impossible to fix.

Hey @george wilson ! It's been awhile since I've seen you on this site. I've missed your down to earth comments and practical advice. Hope you are well.

Mike

Mikey,I am going to have to get 2 knee replacements THIS summer. As it is,they hurt too much to allow me to sit at the computer very long. I'm doing some things to prep for the surgery right now. Thank you for your post.

All this talk of Dekels. Has no-one got any regard for Thiel machines?!
I have a Thiel 158 (158-144) that dates from 1971 and was originally supplied to the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Company. If it was good enough for an aircraft company, it is good enough for me! Paintwork is very sad, but it still 'goes' well.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

There was an abene mill in New York , fair price but not much if any tooling. Good luck with your new mill, there super machines .

All this talk of Dekels. Has no-one got any regard for Thiel machines?!
I have a Thiel 158 (158-144) that dates from 1971 and was originally supplied to the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Company. If it was good enough for an aircraft company, it is good enough for me! Paintwork is very sad, but it still 'goes' well.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
Hi Dave,

I got a Thiel 159. I can share some pictures later.

Mine is in fairly good shape but got a few dings here and there.

I have got hold of an indexer and the slotting head. I have not tested these to a great extent. It should be possible to do spiral gears but have had no time for this yet.

Bjørn

Samthedog: I will create a new thread of my Thiel! Even though this is a fairly old thread, I regard it better for those interesting in the Fp1 that we try to keep the thread subject on track

Last edited:
My fp1 appears to be of a similar vintage to the one in this thread, though not in as good shape. Can anyone tell me how I could determine what year it was made? Sn 35782. I would like to get an over arm for it to run in horizontal mode but in some of the ebay items I see it seems that some over arms fit certain ages of machines and not others. Does anybody know what part fits what or how to determine that?

Back