My New Grizzly G0678 Knee Mill

Nice job, always great to make your machine work better then it's made to do. My wife would kill me but I'd sure like to buy a mill just like yours . Hope you take care of it and it will work well for many years. Are thinking of making a riser block like the bridgeports do? I watch lots of YouTube , double boost from England made one on his raised his I think 5 1/2" . He's up to about the size of a regular mill I think. God I hate being disabled and living below the poverty level. Some times I just hate living. Any way I love your upgrades , I'm trying to make my own for my HF drill mill. got some wiper and door window motors in 12 volt. Have fun and be careful play safe.

Yeah, I was watching Doubleboost videos before I even bought my SB lathe. Great stuff! I've learned a lot from that "mechanic pissing about".

The G0678 mill basically has a riser block from the factory with it's tall column. I believe Doubleboost's mill plus a riser is a bit taller, but not much. If you need more Z space than this mill can offer, you really should start looking at a "pocket Bridgeport" like Coolidge has shown to get the heavier frame and more features.

There's no doubt about it that this ain't a cheap hobby. The mill and it's vise and are about the only major new things I've bought for the shop.

I made a riser block for my (similar) Jet JVM-830 mill from a 6" long length of (I think) an 8" round. It gives me about 18" max distance from the spindle to the table. Very nice when using a dividing head vertically with a drill chuck in the spindle. You can see the riser between the drill chuck and lamp.

Bruce

mill.jpg

doogie
WARNING
Be very careful when you have the table lowered and moving to the left, the power feed will hit the green splash shield. Also when you have the table moved to the left when lowering the table the bottom of the power feed will hit the splash shield also. After doing this twice and nearly damaging the gear on the bottom of the power feed I removed the green shield.

Yeah, Jet sold many of these type of mills, probably more than Grizzly back in the day. The maximum spindle-to-table height of the G0678 is 20 inches which is similar to your Jet mill with a riser. Even with my small-sized projects, the extra table height comes in handy when you starting using big drill chucks or dividing heads.

Be very careful when you have the table lowered and moving to the left, the power feed will hit the green splash shield.

Yup, you are exactly right. I haven't had the table low enough that it's going to hit the splash shield yet, but it's been close. Since it really doesn't serve any practical purpose for me I think I'll remove it this weekend.

After a 1000 miles, six months of CL look see disappointments, last week I drove up to Grizzly Billingham, WA and had a G0678 follow me back home. Four pieces of black pipe, two hours of messing with a come alone (up hill driveway) I was finally able to roll this little gem off a u-haul trailer and into my garage. Now the fun and question start. I am new to this forum and will be asking for help.
So far I really like the quality of the mill but had to ask Grizzly Tech for help regarding the gibs misalignment.

IMG_2389.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Mill Tom. :)

Other than maybe being a bit loose, what was wrong with your gibs? You need to start your own setup thread with lots of pics. We love pics. :D

Back