My new G4003G

Just a note: prices tend to jump on Jan 1. Grizzly keeps there prices constant through-out the year to match their print catalog, and than implement any price increases when the new catalog is issued. I can guarantee that the price will not go down, although it is possible it will stay the same...

Who knows, maybe we will see a Christmas coupon event. They haven't done things like that in the past, but a 10% coupon came out (the first I have ever seen) during the summer, and maybe they will do that again. I know they have a 5% veterans coupon right now; don't know if that does you any good.

After a long dry spell I received two 10% off coupons this fall but couldn't use either one of them. Here's an idea though, one of them was in a wood working magazine I subscribed to, it might pay to go browse through the magazine rack looking for one.

My stand is welded steel. I've not even had 30 min. play time with the G4003G. Only made 2 small parts so far. I'll report more after I get a chance to make some real test cuts, but so far it's a very big improvement over the old Atlas 10 incher.

Thanks Raven, looking forward to your impressions. And the rest of you guys are SO much help. ;)

Although to be honest I'd forgotten about Griz's habit of marking things up with the new catalog. 5% military discount almost isn't worth it. Now if I see 10%.

Finally got around to making a test cut. 3 jaw chuck, live center. 1" from chuck=.98630, 13" from chuck=.98620. This looks to be .0001 taper over 12" inches. This is out of the box with no adjustments. Think I'll take this as "good to go".

Finally got around to making a test cut. 3 jaw chuck, live center. 1" from chuck=.98630, 13" from chuck=.98620. This looks to be .0001 taper over 12" inches. This is out of the box with no adjustments. Think I'll take this as "good to go".

Very nice! Can't ask for any better than that!

Wow! I will hope for something similar. My little lathe was out about 3 tenths in 7" and I considered that very good as that was almost half the usable between center length. I will be interested in what it will do over a bit further length wise as I will be doing some long gun work.

Here's my very first attempt at threading, a 5/8 X 12tpi on aluminum. 70 rpm, hand ground HSS tool bit. Not the prettiest, but the nut screws on without any noticeable slop. Does aluminum always look like this at a slow RPM?first thread #1.jpg

first thread #1.jpg

To me it appears the peaks are to pointed. They should have a flat at the major and minor diameter. Here is a 5/8-11 in steel.
WP_20141206_16_03_03_Pro.jpgIt
It was cut using an insert at 70 rpm.
Dave

WP_20141206_16_03_03_Pro.jpg

Maybe I had too sharp of a point on the tool. They was no radius at all.

Back